Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 13, 2013, 6:25 PM   #1

Default battery does not hold a charge

I have an fz35 that has been a great camera for a couple of years. A problem developed where in the battery would not hold its charge overnight. Assuming a bad battery, I purchased new batteries.

I have two issues:
the original battery is for a S006A. I have two new pairs of batteries that are for S006E, and SOO6BMA7. Are the suffixes significant? They do operate the camera.
issue two:
They don't fix the problem. The camera still will not hold a charge over night.
Any thoughts?
This is my first time on your forum. It looks to be a real helpful site; thanks for any help.
pauliD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:29 PM   #2

The S006E should be fine, how are you charging?

jj
Old Jan 13, 2013, 7:43 PM   #3

G'day Paul

Have you swapped batteries to see if it's a battery issue or a camera issue?
When a battery is fully charged, have you tried to see the battery capacity?
ie- put camera on burst and shoot 300 - 500 frames till it runs out of puff

If the battery charger has failed, you'll only get 50-or so exposures whereas a full battery will/shoud give you at least 400 shots

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:07 AM   #4

I did a quick research and it looks like the batteries you bought should be compatible with your camera. If you, after fully charging the battery, inserted the battery into the camera, turned it on and the battery icon indicated full charge, then my guess is that the camera is defective. There's a short of some sort that's draining the battery (assuming, of course, that you turn the camera off after using it, and not simply let it go to "sleep"). There's always the possibility that the replacement batteries you bought are bad. I suggest (if possible) that you try a different brand. I usually buy Lenmar or GTMAX replacement batteries from Amazon (see link below). I don't know where you bought your batteries from but if it was from eBay, I'd be suspicious.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenmar-Equival...ds=s006+lenmar

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 3:59 PM   #5

Sounds like the issue is with the camera since all the batteries are draining. Have you checked for any firmware updates?

That would bum me out if it happened to my FZ35.... Of course, it would give you a good excuse to upgrade to the 150 or 200

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:11 PM   #6

From the heyday of the FZ28, I seem to remember that there was something about the generic batteries to watch for. The Lenmar brand always worked. But, there was something physical that caused problems with other brands occasionally.

It was like a nub that might prevent the battery making contact, or they were slightly smaller or larger when fitting in the battery compartment.

That battery design was also used by Fuji and Nikon and some other electronic devices. I think that's where all the suffixes come from and why they don't work sometimes in a particular camera. It might work in my FZ, but not yours. The Lenmar brand always seemed to work in the FZ.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 6:17 PM   #7

Dirt or corrosion around the contacts in the camera can be a problem. I've cleaned the battery with a soft toothbrush and used a cotton swab and toothpick in the battery compartment.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 7:53 PM   #8

A long time ago I bought two batteries for my cell phone on eBay. One was not holding up the charge and the other was causing the cell phone to turn itself off. Some of these cells sold on eBay are absolute junk. Again, I don't know where you bought the batteries from but if it happens to be eBay, I'd try a brand name from Amazon. Then again, because you had this problem with the original battery as well as the spare ones I tend to agree with Saly that the camera may be at fault.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 3:58 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for all your input.
I tried Ozzie's trick. With the camera in high speed burst mode on a freshly charged battery I was able to fill an 8GB card with several thousand images in very short order. The battery still showed two bars of power, but the next day it was dead. Another fresh battery has been in the camera for two days and held its charge but now it is down to two bars without taking any shots. So I guess it is the camera. I am not familiar with firmware, but I would like to investigate. I am happy at least the camera does operate and now I have some extra batteries.

Thanks for all your help.
pauliD is offline   Reply With Quote