Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 12, 2004, 12:46 PM   #1

Default FZ10 Firmware Upgrade

It seems that one can/will be able to upgrade the firmware for the FZ10. What issues will be addressed, also, what can be addressed with a firmware upgrade.

Thanks

JakeT
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2004, 2:30 PM   #2

I'm doubting that there will be an upgrade coming after what happened with the FZ1, but among other things, number one on my list is a "Super Fine" JPEG setting. The compression on the FZ10 is far to high. I guess this was Panasonic's way of justifying the 16MB card they included with the camera. Why would they put a Lecia lens on the camera, then compress the $:!% out of the picture? But yet they want to be considered a contender against Canon and Nikon...go figure.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 3:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
I'm doubting that there will be an upgrade coming after what happened with the FZ1
What happened? (I wasn't into digital photography that much back then).

On my list would be also a finer compression mode, and possibly a RAW mode.

And I wouldn't mind have three settings for the manual focus assist thingy (where it bloats up the center of the screen). The modes would be: Off, On max bloat, on half bloat. This is because sometimes it bloats it up too much and you can see anything, but if it is off it shows to little. But that is a minor problem...

Hummm, I can't really think of any more firmware issuses.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 6:49 PM   #4

Default Re: FZ10 Firmware Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTPegg
It seems that one can/will be able to upgrade the firmware for the FZ10. What issues will be addressed, also, what can be addressed with a firmware upgrade.

Thanks

JakeT
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 6:50 PM   #5

Default Re: FZ10 Firmware Upgrade

A longer pause would be great !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeTPegg

Thanks

JakeT
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 10:54 PM   #6

Default Firmware Upgrades Only Released to Japan...(haha?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
I'm doubting that there will be an upgrade coming after what happened with the FZ1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinblue
What happened? (I wasn't into digital photography that much back then).

What happened with the FZ1 firmware upgrade is that Panasonic released it only to the Japanese market AND charged for it (about US$50). It was a VERY significant upgrade that added so many features to the camera that it literally turned it into a FZ2.

The problem in this is that such a signficant upgrade really should have been released in every market that the FZ1 was released. Because they didn't do that but the entire world was salivating to get their hands on it, you can guess what happened -- yup, it was pirated, posted on the internet for download, and everyone other than Japan basically got the upgrade for free.

One of the things the upgrade did for the FZ1 was decrease the compression level of the "Fine" mode, so it is safe to assume that the same could be done for the FZ10. However, Panasonic would probably again release it just to the Japanese market and probably would charge for it. You'd have to wait a few months and then download it, resulting in all kinds of discussions involving morals, legalities, warranties, etc.

Why Panasonic can't post their firmware upgrade on their support site for free download (like every other digicam manufacturer) is beyond me.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 9:57 AM   #7

Default Re: Firmware Upgrades Only Released to Japan...(haha?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
Why Panasonic can't post their firmware upgrade on their support site for free download (like every other digicam manufacturer) is beyond me.
Actually, like any other manufacturer period!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 2:44 PM   #8

Default Panasonic upgrade policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
I believe that I can address this.

Bob has mentioned on this forum that Panasonic's policy is to release free firmware upgrades only to fix bugs and issues in the product, not to add new features.

That said, I believe that the way Panasonic mishandled the DMW-VUZ1 upgrade. Releasing it just in Japan was a bad PR move that alienated international customers, not to mention prompting them to seek alternative ways of obtaining it.

Panasonic's market segmentation looks out of place in the global village and is something I could expect from the RIAA/MPAA slimeballs, not from a home electronics manufacturer.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 10:00 AM   #9

Before this conversation evolves into a collection of opinions, let me make this brief statement.

The decision to sell the upgrade in Japan, and the current situation where itís not available to U.S. customers has nothing to do with PR or poor PR. There are factors that are delaying the release of the firmware outside Japan.

At this time I can only comment that we are aware of the situation and itís not a case of ignoring our customerís. Installing the new firmware in your FZ1 is definitely not advised.

As more information is obtained, Iíll be sure to share it with all of you as Iím permitted to.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 3:50 PM   #10

Bob, I doubt that you can answer this, but I'll ask anyway. Will there be a similar update for the FZ10? Above all, I'm really disappointed with the excessive JPEG compression. It would be nice to give the customer another choice. I don't really need an uncompressed format, but the current level of compression is just to high, which defeats the quality of the Leica lens.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote