Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 13, 2004, 1:12 AM   #1

Default EDITING SOFTWARE

NOW THAT I'M INCREASING MY PHOTOGRAPHY SKILLS AND HAVE AN EXCELLENT CAMERA IN THE F10, I'M THINKING OF SWITCHING TO A HIGHER PERFORMANCE EDITING SOFTWARE. PACKAGE

I PRESNTLY USE MGI PHOTOSUITE V8.05.

I'M THINKING ABOUT USING PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS. I'M ALSO THINKING ABOUT GETTING A NOISE MINIMIZER. ARE THESE PRACTICAL?

I'D LIKE SOME COMMENTS & SUGGESTIONS ON THIS.

THANKS

LOU
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 13, 2004, 1:57 AM   #2

Quote:
I'M THINKING ABOUT USING PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS. I'M ALSO THINKING ABOUT GETTING A NOISE MINIMIZER. ARE THESE PRACTICAL?
Elements is an excellent choice. For a noise minimizer you should consider Neat Image or Grain Surgery. Neat Image is very popular these days...
www.neatimage.com
you can download a free trial version.

These programs are very good at minimizing noise from high ISO, low light and crops.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 9:13 AM   #3

I completely agree with Klaus. I use Elements 2.0 (Mac) and from examples that I've seen, am eagerly awaiting NeatImage for Mac OS X.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:44 PM   #4

I haven't tried PhotoShop Elements yet, but have tried PhotoShop and found it to be a bit tedious to do what should be some rather simple things. I've heard that Elements is more for the amateur photographer, whereas PhotoShop is obviously more useful to professional level folks.

Personally, I use Jasc PaintShop Pro 8 and love it. It does most of what even PhotoShop does, but has a more friendly interface and a lot more "dummy" features, like the wonderful "One-Step Photo Fix" feature where you press one button and the software makes a darn good guess of how to make your photo look the best. It does a good job at least 99% of the time for me, even with specialty shots like b/w, infrared, etc. It's also a fraction of the price of PhotoShop and even cheaper than Elements.

I've used NeatImage for removing grain, and feel it is really good software. However, if you're willing to spend some time learning the features of PaintShop, PhotoShop, Elements, etc., you can usually do as good of a job at removing grain with one of them. You do have to learn how to use the grain removal feature of your program of choice though -- it's not as automatic as NeatImage.

I've also seen mention and recommendation of a program called NoiseNinja, reputed to do an even better job than NeatImage. Everyone's going to have their own opinions on what's easier, better, etc.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:53 PM   #5

THANKS FOR THE TIP ABOUT Jasco PaintShop Pro 8. I WILL LOOK INTO THAT ONE BEFORE I MAKE A FINAL DECISION.

LOOKING FOR FEATURE RICH BUT USER FRIENDLY.

I WONDER HOW MANY OTHERS ON THIS SITR LIKE JASCO BETTER?

LOU
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:58 PM   #6

Jasc PaintShop is VERY popular among amateur/hobby photographers because it is feature rich (almost up there with the industry standard PhotoShop), but significantly cheaper and more user friendly. I think more amateurs will use it over PhotoShop just because of the huge price difference. About the only drawback to PaintShop is that there is a lot more 3rd party support for PhotoShop (special "filters" and such), but that won't do you much good if the software is so complicated that you can't figure out how to use them! Haha.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 12:13 AM   #7

I'M NOT CONSIDERING THE VERY COMPLICATED/VERY EXPENSIVE PHOTOSHOP 7.O BUT THE EASIER/MUCH LESSEXPENSIVE PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS - ABOUT $80

THIS IS A MORE REASONABLE COMPARISON TO JASC, I BELIEVE

LOU
Old Feb 14, 2004, 6:03 PM   #8

I suggest you try PhotoBrush2 from www.mediachance.com. There is a free trial for a month so you can't lose. Only $38 to buy. Read the clear Help File and you will find it the most intuitive of them all. I like PaintShop too.

Noise Ninja works very well and is simple to use. It does a few other things beyond NeatImage. Both work very well for noise reduction. Play with the other editing stuff first.

I would also suggest Qimage for printing. Many think it does a better job than even PhotoShop.

You will then need PhotoShop Album to find and view your images. This program also has some simple editing abilities.

parallel
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:34 PM   #9

I'm having a hard time trying to download photobrush. tried 6 times

There is no contact info at mediachance to check with
Do you have a conact number or email?

They say there are alternate ways of downloading but don't spell them out as far as i can tell.

i'd like tostart pracicing & evaluating

Thanks lou

lou
Old Feb 14, 2004, 11:37 PM   #10

Aany suggestion on a begginer's book or booklert or tutorial on digital photography .

i'm not a begginer to photography What i am most intersted in is info on using the custom features of my pan lunix f10

LOU