Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 24, 2013, 7:53 AM   #1

Default Question 150 v 200

I am wondering if it is worth the extra money to upgrade from the FZ38 to the FZ 200.
What would be the advantages?
I do like the look of the 200 but it is still quite pricy here in the UK.
Any advice folks?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:50 AM   #2

Wider angle,longer zoom,faster (wider) aperture,faster AF,faster burst/continuous modes,improved stabilizer,full HD movie capture,tilt adjustable screen,flash hotshoe mount,microphone socket,RAW capture...etc...
Only you can decide if the cost of the FZ200 is worth it...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2013, 2:36 PM   #3

Eysha, as you know I own the FZ35 (38), and now an FZ150, so I can't answer your question about the FZ200. But the 150 definitely gives me much better image quality than the 35/38 in most cases. The only time the 35/38 and 150 are comparable, in my opinion, is macro/closeup using the LC55 or Raynox. I think the FZ35 does extremely well for that. But in almost every other case, the 150 gives me much better image quality. I like to photograph birds, and I get much better detail in the feathers with the 150. It also does better in low-light, plus it has the 24x zoom.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:03 AM   #4

The biggest advantage (IMO) is the lens speed. The FZ200 offers f2.8 across the entire zoom range. This is huge. It will allow you take use the full zoom in somewhat low light conditions w/o raising the ISO too much.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:57 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for your replies. The 200 looks good and i am so tempted. I guess the only thing holding me back is lack of confidence in my ability to take a good photograph as i know it's the photographer not the camera.
Saly i love you rphotos, you always take nice photos and i like to photograph birds too, but i think i am pretty useless so far and i know the 200 isn't going to improve my photography. unfortunately there is no camera clubs nearby for me to learn from so i am still plodding - slowley, lol.
Thanks again everyone.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:09 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
...I guess the only thing holding me back is lack of confidence in my ability to take a good photograph as i know it's the photographer not the camera.
Personally I think this statement is a bit overrated. Give a surgeon poor quality tools and he/she most likely won't be able to perform to the best of his/her ability. I think the same occurs in photography. I don't care how good of a photographer an individual is, if all he/she has to work with is a 1 MP camera from a cheap cellphone, the results will be mediocre, not because of the photographer's capabilities but the equipment's limitations. A good quality camera will certainly help you achieve good results and keep you encouraged. You will still have to understand your equipment, learn its capabilities and limitations in order to get the most out of it. But IMO, not getting a good quality camera because you think you are not good enough for it is not the way to go.

Tullio
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:18 AM   #7

Thanks Tullio, that's interesting and i know what you mean. I guess i am discouraged a bit as i seem to not be able to take good shots. Still cannot get the relationship between the ISO, F.Stop and Shutter Speeds into my head.
I was out yesterday at a local park and thought i had got some decent shots of geese but when on the computer they are so pixalated and poor i wouldn't even embarrass myself by showing them here.
Hence the thoughts of not being good enough to spend money on the 200.
Would you upgrade to the 200 from the 38 and why?

Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:35 AM   #8

Let me tell you a secret...most pictures people post in forums have been edited to some extent in some sort of software. When you shoot in good light (bright sunny days), the camera will most likely do a pretty good job (as long as the settings are adequate - i.e. white balance, ISO, etc.). The problems begin when you are shooting in low light conditions with slow lenses using incorrect settings. That's when the editing part comes to play. If you wish, I can send you a private message explaining the relationship between ISO, aperture and shutter speed. It is not that complicated, really.

As for the upgrade, yes I would just for that lens if nothing else.

Tullio
Old Feb 26, 2013, 3:23 PM   #9

Thanks Tullio, you are encouraging me and yes please feel free to PM me anytime. Thanks for answering my question about the 200 too, i didn't know that the lens was that good. Thanks Tullio.

Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:05 PM   #10

In order for anyone here to help you figure out why your pictures don't look good, you have to post a few (straight out of the camera preferably, with the EXIF data intact). Let's put this way, if you shoot in bright daylight with the camera set to P mode, Auto ISO and AWB, you should get a decent image. If you are not, then either you have some settings that need changing or your camera is defective. The only way to determine that is by looking at the EXIF data.

Tullio