Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 27, 2013, 3:45 PM   #1

Default Taken with the TZ30

I took these shots on Monday and I am not happy with them. They are pixelated at 100%. Straight out of the camera only cropped for size.
All advice welcome.
Thanks.
E.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
I took these shots on Monday and I am not happy with them. They are pixelated at 100%. Straight out of the camera only cropped for size.
All advice welcome.
Thanks.
E.
These could be pixelated because of the light. It doesn't seem like your settings are right for the amount of ambient light (or lack thereof). They are pretty dark. Knowing the .exif data would help.
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:59 AM   #3

Sum 4182, they are straight out of the camera as Tullio suggested i post them for further advice on how to improve. I did leave the EXIF date on, or had intended to. It was a dark cold horrible day with very little light so they are a comparison the the other psot i sent in with the TZ 30.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 3:36 PM   #4

Eysha, yes it's the dark light that is causing the noisy image. I don't even attempt to photograph birds when it's very cloudy, unless the subject is really close me. These cameras with small sensor just don't do well in the dark.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 4:15 PM   #5

Thanks Saly, i agree. The TZ30 is useful to put into your pocket so you always have a camera on you just in case but a better camera would be good. I got the 30 thinking to sue it if I went oh holiday but after seeing it in action I won't do that but it is a good little camera, just not an all-rounder.

Old Feb 28, 2013, 5:09 PM   #6

Any picture taken with similar types of camera will be pixelated if cropped 100%. The sensor is just not large enough. Add to that the fact that your pictures are way under exposed and the results are catastrophic. When shooting under cloudy conditions with real dark grey sky, you should increase the exposure by 0.7 or even +1.0. I have two of those P&S pocketable cameras, a Sony HX20 and a Panasonic ZS6. They take great pictures under bright daylight but if I crop 100%, I see blotches and lack of resolution all over. Those cameras were not meant to produce images that can be heavily cropped but to produce decent images OOC w/ very little cropping.

I haven't looked at the EXIF data of these pictures as I write this reply but one thing to check is the flash. When is too dark and the flash is set to auto, the camera may chose to fire the flash and that will do more harm than not. If you notice that, turn off the flash when shooting landscape.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2013, 12:00 PM   #7

Hi Tullio, the photos weren't cropped just re-sized for the forum. I will try to remember to increase the exposure if I take photos in cloudy conditions again but I don't usually, it was a one off as I was out with my daughter so just took a chance really. Just a practise. I haven't used the flash so far on this camera and only a couple of times on the 38.
Thanks for the help Tullio.