Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 6, 2013, 12:22 AM   #1

Default Pictures taken with Hila 2.2 Tele

After very disappointing results Ecomphoto store agreed to take back the Hila and ship a Panasonic 1.7 as I originally ordered. However they pointed out that I needed to set the FZ200 menu setting to Teleconverter.

So I am giving the lens another shot. Posting 3 pictures all taken at quite a distance. The owlet was extremely backlit and not much I could do about that. What I am looking for is opinions on the quality of the lens, Not the feeble attempts of the photographer.
Attached Images

Paul, enjoying my retirement riding my BMW R1200GS, and R90/6. Taking pictures with my new FZ200 and Nikon D90 of my grandkids, places I go and birds. God must have really had fun when he created the birds!
dpmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:19 AM   #2

I'm sorry that this is not working out for you. And I'm not sure if I agree that you need to switch to Teleconverter mode. That forces the lens to zoom out beyond vignetting, and increases the image stabilization capability. I've tried both settings and saw no difference and prefer not to use it.

I recommend you trying shooting something stationery in the distance to check image quality.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:33 AM   #3

Well,they look a tad soft,though given that the birds are buried in branches,tricky for the AF point- even using the small,center AF mode...!
As for the Fringing....ooh-er... looks like an old Fuji I once had...!
I had to try and fix the owl...!
Attached Images

Last edited by SIMON40; Mar 6, 2013 at 3:50 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:37 PM   #4

Sorry but those images look pretty bad to me. Lots of CA, lack of sharpness and funky colors. I'd return the lens w/o a doubt.

As for the teleconverter setting, it does what saly said. It does not help improve IQ in any way.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2013, 3:38 PM   #5

G'day Paul

To expand on Saly & Tullio ~ the menu setting for "teleconverter' locks the lens into a minimum zoom of 3x [so that it is now 3x to 18x] so that there is no edge cutoff at 1x or 2x settings. Beyond 3x, it has no effect upon your shooting

As to the 2,2x lens - I would follow each above and return it as a non-starter
The colour fringing & overall lack of sharpness does not excite me at all

ps- if it's of any help, here's a link to another site that has some info [and sales stuff as well] about teleconverter lenses for the Panny. Maybe it will give you some extra info to talk with your local shop people

http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/panaso...rsion-lens.php

Hope this helps as well
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:10 PM   #6

Default a couple more pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Sorry but those images look pretty bad to me. Lots of CA, lack of sharpness and funky colors. I'd return the lens w/o a doubt.

As for the teleconverter setting, it does what saly said. It does not help improve IQ in any way.
Well I took about 150 pictures today. Most of them didn't turn out too well. Posting a couple of the better ones, but truth is I think the FZ200 with no converter would do better. I am sending the 2.2x back and will wait for the Panasonic 1.7. Seems like I could get decent pictures if I kept zoom to 600 or less, which would equal 1200 which the camera will do with iq zoom (but no cropping). The 2.2x converter looked pretty good through the viewfinder even up to the cameras max 1200mm. Makes for a pretty good telescope, unfortunately the pictures don't look like the viewfinder, if that makes any sense. Fortunately the camera store is giving me no problems about exchanging.
Attached Images

Paul, enjoying my retirement riding my BMW R1200GS, and R90/6. Taking pictures with my new FZ200 and Nikon D90 of my grandkids, places I go and birds. God must have really had fun when he created the birds!
dpmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:53 PM   #7

Oh yeah, you need to send this back. You should be able to do much better.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:06 PM   #8

G'day Paul

Agree with your conclusions

If you are able to return & swap - all well & good
I had an even worse problem with the Canon converter lens I bought for my previous Canon SX-1 superzoom. It just gave me a small circular image with whopping vignetting ~ totally unfit for the purpose it was sold to me for.
The Canon Australia dealer refused to accept the lens back, despite many emails & phone calls ~ so $200+ of lens went into the bin sometime later. Needless to say my love for Canon {Australia} disappeared overnight

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2013, 8:32 PM   #9

These last two shots are slightly better than the first ones in terms of CA but I do see a lot of blue and green fringing particularly along the edges of the white birds. The overall IQ is still very poor. On the Egret shot you can see a funky swirl all around the center subject. The images are soft...not usable IMO.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote