Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:32 PM   #1

Default GH or FZ200

I recently bought a new laptop and within days it broke so it went back to the shop which, of course insist on sending away for a possible repair, which i do not beleive will happen. I am no laptop expert but since the laptop refuses to even give anything other than a blank screen only i doubt a repair will work.

Given that they will give me a credit note. I don't want the same laptop back but the shop does sell cameras so my question is - given that i have the FZ38 with marcro and long lens - should i go for the FZ200 or the GH and will these cameras take the lenses i already have as opposed to buying more lenses thus keeping the cost down a bit.

I like the 200 but isn't the GH's a DSLR or similar, shows how knowledgable i am i know but prefer to ask here as get the wrong thing.
Thanks for the help in deciding.
E.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:22 PM   #2

eysha - as you know I use the FZ35, FZ150 and GF1. My husband has a GH1. I consider GH1 and GF1 almost identical in image quality, so I'll speak for both. With the right lens and camera combination, the GF and the GH gives me better quality images than both my FZs. The only problem is, I've spent tons of money buying lenses for the GF! You can get lens adapters that will let you use your older lenses with your GH, but you need to buy a different adapter for each brand of lens you have. So, to date, I have NEVER used one of my old lenses with my GF. Instead, I've spent the last 2+ years saving money to buy new lenses for the it. I have to say I get good IQ, but it's been expensive.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:34 AM   #3

Saly, i am looking for a Panasonic that will take the lenses i have now. As i said i will have to get something with the returned money from the laptop i bought so was thinking of a camera as opposed to another laptop, which i don't need. I have heard that the GH, i think, will take my lenses which are hardly used so instead of spending more money, i am not a proper photographer really, not enough to spend a fortune on lenses anyway, i would just swop the laptop money for the camera. does that make sense?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:30 AM   #4

Those are two very different systems. The FZ200 will give you a lot of flexibility in terms of FL and if you want to expand it you can attach a tele converter (although the final ensemble will be bulky and heavy). You have very little chance of getting any sensor dust at all (although in rare occasions it occurs). The m4/3 system offers great IQ in a compact format but at a high cost when it comes to m4/3 lenses (the good ones, at least). It is a flexible system because you can attach just about any lens to it with the appropriate adapter. Of course most will operate in manual mode, no no AF because there is no communication between the lens and the camera body. There are some 4/3 to m4/3 adapters that will allow you to use some selected 4/3 lenses on a m4/3 body with AF.

Now, I have an old Oly EPL1 and a Panasonic G3. If you are seriously considering going to m4/3, I suggest you look at the Olympus OM-D or EPL5. I believe they are better cameras than the Panasonic ones. If nothing else, they have IBIS, which is a great plus when using long zoom lenses. I also believe they produce better images but that's from what I see posted on the internet. I had the GH1 when it first came out . I had a G1 at the time and to be honest, I did not think there was a lot of difference between them in terms of IQ. The GH1 had video but I do not do video that much. So, I returned the GH1 and kept the G1. I don't know how the GH3 compares against the new G5. You might want to do some research on that as well.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:47 AM   #5

Thanks Tullio, my problem is that i will likely have to choose something for the money from the laptop that was returned, not a certain bet yet but i think it will happen so trying to be prepared. I don't want another laptop but will have to use the money so was looking to a camera that will take the lenses i already have, cannot afford more at the moment. I do like an Oly and started out with one, a little 3 meg one and it still takes great photos too, so no problem buying another one if it will take my lenses. I don't use the video either so that wouldn't worry me.

Old Mar 11, 2013, 1:51 PM   #6

What lenses do you have? Like I said, the m4/3 system will take just about any lens brand as long as you have the appropriate adapter. However, things can be a bit tricky. If your lenses are real old ones (the ones with the aperture ring), you'll have no problem, except that it will be manual focus. You set the camera to A, adjust the aperture ring to a desired aperture and the camera will calculate the shutter speed and the ISO accordingly. However, if your lenses are new AF lenses with no aperture ring, then you have a problem because there is no way to change the aperture unless you mount the lens on its original camera, change the aperture to whatever you wish and then mount it on the m4/3 body. The aperture will then be fixed at the value you chose. Obviously this is a big problem.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 2:13 PM   #7

You could use the LT55 and LC 55 with an FZ200 just adding the newer adapter tube.

The GH is a micro 4/3 with an interchangeable lens system, like a dslr. You wouldn't normally want to step-up to the 55mm converters from a lens itself. The macro converter might not be bad, but the long TC is so heavy and big it can damage the lens itself if you aren't real careful.

You'd need at least three lenses to mimic the FZ. from macro to telephoto range.

Under the circumstances you've described, the FZ200 is your better option.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2013, 4:13 PM   #8

Tullio, the only lenses I have are those in my signature for the FZ38. I probably confused you - sorry. I had thought that the lenses I have would fit onto either the Panny GH or G systems but I am probably wrong.

BBBuilder, thanks, I do like the 200 and I understand from others that it would be worth the upgrade from the 38 to the 200. I just don't want to loose the money so have to choose something and I prefer a camera.