Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 15, 2004, 2:45 AM   #1

Default DMC LC1 PRICE

Can someone ask to an USA dealer the LC1's price and post de answer?

Is it really 1600 $???????????

(I'm in Europe and I don't know your zip codes)

Hopping it's same story than FZ10: announced at 1200$ and 2 days later gone down to 900$

thanks to all....
setsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2004, 3:44 PM   #2
Administrator

If you look at my Breaking News item about the LC1 I have tried to tell Panasonic that same very thing -- THE PRICE IS TOO HIGH!

All of the new 8-megapixel cameras are only $999 or less...

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 4:09 PM   #3

thanks a lot Steve

YOU ARE GREAT

hoping Pana thinks on a "bundle"

e.g. giving for this price

camera
512 Mb SD card
flash
wideangle conversion lens

Old Feb 16, 2004, 5:24 PM   #4

Can someone explain to me what the point of this camera is?

I've been pining for a digital rangefinder, something the size of a P&S but with the manual controls and very short shutter lag of a dSLR.

Is this the first attempt at it? Does this camera have interchangeable lenses like a Bessa or Leica Mx? Does it have the near instantaneous shutter like a 10D or film camera?

Or is this just a fixed lens point and shoot with really good manual controls?

Or thirdly - no one knows at this point in time?
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:54 AM   #5

Ursa wrote

Or is this just a fixed lens point and shoot with really good manual controls?

Is that!

With an excellent image quality
Old Feb 17, 2004, 8:52 AM   #6

Hi guys,
Iím very sorry that I wasnít able to post the official press announcement as I normally do, but I was attending the PMA show in Las Vegas where it was officially released.

During the four days the show ran I personally spoke to well over 200 professional photographers, dealers, and representatives of the other DSC manufactures. The people from Canon and Olympus were especially interested in the LC1 and came back several times to play with it. After seeing the photo quality and using the DMC-LC1 the feedback was nothing short of extraordinary! The price point was not an issue.

I was especially amazed at the number of people who finally admitted that choosing your next DSC based on the mega-pixel count is certainly not an accurate representation of the cameraís ability.

The LC1 will be available in March, 2004.

Iíll do my best to answer any questions you may have.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 9:31 AM   #7

Hi Bob,

I'm really happy with my FZ1-2 and I want to make a step ahead.

I don't like too much FZ10 but I liked a lot LC1 from the first time I saw the prototype.

Superior image quality and unmatched analog camera "feel".

But 1600 $ is really a lot of money for the thing. I know you are not a "marketing man" but....

I want a new camera but sincerely I'm thinking in alternatives

:roll:
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:01 AM   #8

Setsan,
With all due respect, after having had the opportunity to speak with so many people, representing many facets of the DSC community, the apparent success and acceptance of our DMC-LC1 clearly represents a broader opinion than whatís represented here at this time.

I suspect that much of the positive feedback came only after these people were able to hold, use, and see the photo quality of the DMC-LC1. I also saw a keen interest from more mature 35mm photographers who are reluctant to ďgo digitalĒ. This segment of the DSC market immediately recognized the LC1ís similarity in styling and operation to traditional 35mm cameras.

After attending the show, itís quite clear to me now that offering more mega-pixels for less money is not whatís necessarily going to sell cameras in todayís market. There were plenty of low cost 4-5 MP cams shown by various manufacturers. Their high pixel count alone is no guarantee of quality.

That fact, combined with the comments I received from Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony allowed me leave the show feeling very positive. I suspect some of you here may also change your opinion after youíve had the opportunity to try one! None the less, I appreciate all of your comments.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 11:50 AM   #9

thanks for your kindly replies

I'm following this camera from the beginning, searching information everyday and everywhere (Korean pages, Leica forum) so I know very well a lot of aspects of this wonderful camera.

I don't want more pixels I want GOOD pixels, like those of the FZ1-2 and LC1.

You know that in all forums we are talking a lot about the high price of Digilux 2 and LC1.

One must think a lot on the purchase before to spend 1600$ (in USA, I live in Europe and I don't know the "European price", surely higher) for a "fantastic" FIXED lens camera.

I must wait to see more shots and a price 300/400$ lower
Old Feb 17, 2004, 2:44 PM   #10

Honestly, I too was expecting more people who expected a lower price. I was very surprised. A good portion of the price is associated with the optics which are of a very high quality.
We appreciate your comments.