Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:07 AM   #1

Default New FZ10 user needs some help: focus

Hi all. First some background. I do alot of traveling for my job and am taking alot of shots when I do so, mostly outdoors. I also take alot of indoor shots at home of my dogs. My previous camera was a HP 610. While I liked this camera, I wanted something with more zoom (it had only a 2x optical) and more MP (it had only 2.1). Plus I wanted the ability to add "add-ons" to the camera, like an external flash and other lenses (esp. telephoto) if need be. Basically, I felt I had outgrown the 610 but still wanted a easy to use camera with features and abilities I could grow into.
I had narrowed it down to the FZ10, the Olympus 750, and the Kodak 6490. After research and reading reviews, I decided to go with the FZ10 due to the OIS, and ordered it last weekend and received it late last week. I have played around with it somewhat (as much as I can while I am waiting for my 256 SD card to arrive) and have read the manual and am having a problem.
I have the camera set to auto focus all the time. I have taken pictures in OIS Mode 1 and 2. So far, no matter what I do, with at least 70-80% of my shots the jittery icon seems to come on when I take a picture and the picture somes out anywhere from a little blurred to VERY blurred. I have even tried setting the camera on top of something (I don't have a tri-pod) and then shooting the pic and even then they often come out blurred. I have tried taking pics with minimal zoom and the same results.
Soo....am I doing something wrong??? Could there be a problem with the camera?? Any and all help would be appreciated. Thanks
DA.
dainga is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:19 AM   #2

The OIS was designed to work down to 1/125 second shutter. (Or so I've heard) People are getting sharp shots down to 1/4 second.

That being said, at low light levels the OIS has much less information to go on and is much less effective. Are the blurred shots indoors?

I had also seen someone on another discussion board return two FZ10's because of focus problems. This was not widespread. If your getting 80% blurred, something may be wrong.
Ramblin_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin_mo
The OIS was designed to work down to 1/125 second shutter. (Or so I've heard) People are getting sharp shots down to 1/4 second.

That being said, at low light levels the OIS has much less information to go on and is much less effective. Are the blurred shots indoors?

I had also seen someone on another discussion board return two FZ10's because of focus problems. This was not widespread. If your getting 80% blurred, something may be wrong.
Yes, so far the shots have been indoors BUT in well lit areas, so lack of light shouldn't be an issue. At least I don't think so.

When you talk about the shutter speed, two things. One, keep in mind that this camera is a leap for me and so I'm not up on all the new jargon yet. Second, so are you saying shutter speed could have something to do with it? I am using the default speed. So far all my pics have been taken with the Mode Dial on P. Basically at this stage I am defering to the camera for everything until I can learn more about how everything works.

I can return the camera if I do so within 30 days of the shipped date, which was last Monday. Right now I trying to gather information to help me decide from one of these courses of action:
1. Return the camera and get a replacement
2. Return the camera and get a refund and get a different camera as this one is not for me.
3. Keep the camera and fix whatever I am doing wrong.

BTW, for what it is worth, I purchased this camera from ABT Electronics.
DA
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:14 PM   #4

You could have a lemon but it is more likely a sorting out. Take a shot with it on a table or something solid in good room light and use the self-timer. Manually pushing the button can cause motion blur. If it blurs with the self timer you might have a problem if there is enough light to focus and it is aimed at something with decent contrast.

Download EXIF viewer and install it – it is free. Use the “Open” icon and select the folder containing your images. If you put the cursor over any of the thumbnails it will tell what speed, zoom, f stop and ISO the picture was taken at. Relay this information on some of your blurred pictures and we might be able to make a better guess as to whether you might be inducing motion blur. http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html

As a general rule if the flash shots are sharp you are focusing fine. You have to be within about 7 feet for that flash to be effective as it is pretty anemic. But if the flash shots are not blurred you have a motion blur problem from too slow a shutter speed for you holding technique.

You have to hold a camera well to avoid camera shake – even with IS. With the FZ10 I put my left hand under the lens and my left elbow solidly into my chest. My right hand has a regular grip with the right elbow tight against my side. I have a rubber eyecup on the viewfinder that allows me to provide a little more stabilization by pressing against it. As hard as I try I can’t get sharp pictures at as low a speed as some people report. I like mode 2 stabilization because it doesn’t stabilize the viewfinder. You know when you aren’t holding the camera well with mode 2.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:20 PM   #5

I'll try your suggestions...except for the EXIF viewer. I don't have a PC but a Mac. Please...no comments. I'll report back with my findings from the test shot with the timer soon.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:41 PM   #6

Try this freeware as it works for Mac: http://graphicssoft.about.com/gi/dyn...c%2Findex.html

Most graphics pros use Macs and it is superior for video editing. The biggest problem with a Mac is that people usually want money for any Mac software where you can get freebes to do most things with a PC – and have a choice of freebes to boot.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 1:19 PM   #7

Are you getting a focus lock? Is the green focus light steady or flashing when shot is taken?
Ramblin_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin_mo
Are you getting a focus lock? Is the green focus light steady or flashing when shot is taken?
Yes I am getting a focus lock. I am pressing the button down 1/2 way, wait for the green light to come on and the sound to chime and then pressing the rest of the way. Still blurry.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 2:58 PM   #9

If it is still blurry with flash you have a problem. If not you probably don't.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 3:24 PM   #10

Try it with continuous AF turned off, It works better for me that way
but seems to make no difference for my wife, her pics are sharp either way. I must make sure the subject looks sharp before snapping the pic. I get way more sharp photos with the Fluzi than any other camera I tried but I still get some blurry ones. Must be something I do not understand :roll:
genece is offline   Reply With Quote