Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 28, 2013, 1:14 PM   #1

Default Moving up from ZS7 but don't want a DSLR - Options?

I am using ZS7 for few years and it's good for outdoors.
Indoor, low light, indoor light picture quality is terrible.

I had Canon T2i for few years and liked it very much.
It's leagues ahead on low light/indoor quality but not a fair comparison.
I sold T2i due to it's size.

I sell few things off and on in ebay and every single picture has noise/grains no matter how many lights I turn on inside the house.
Some prospective buyers even emailed asking if the item was dusty or dirty due to the grainy picture quality.

So I'm back in the market but really want to avoid DSLR as that size is simply restricts it inside home.
I need something like mirrorless or 4/3rds that has good low light quality plus good video.
Not too much worried about lenses at this time.
I'm checking out Olympus E-PM/PL and few other options but I want something that's not just marginally better than ZS7.
Thanks for suggestions.
Old May 28, 2013, 4:36 PM   #2

I'm curious as to why size is an issue for you indoors..?

Surpassing the low light ability of the ZS7 shouldn't be too hard- a fine little camera,though low light work was not it's strong suit- although if shooting on a tripod you at least have the option of long exposures with low iso settings via the manual mode- which should yield decent results.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2013, 4:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I'm curious as to why size is an issue for you indoors..?

Surpassing the low light ability of the ZS7 shouldn't be too hard- a fine little camera,though low light work was not it's strong suit- although if shooting on a tripod you at least have the option of long exposures with low iso settings via the manual mode- which should yield decent results.
True, but I don't want to have one camera for indoors and another for outdoors. Also, it won't be a good idea to actually buy a camera that is better than ZS7 but not use it in the places where I use ZS7 currently in.

Even with flash on, indoor pictures are not that great.
Tripod is an option and have used it off and on but sometimes get lazy to use tripod to take few pictures.
Old May 28, 2013, 6:29 PM   #4

On balance- I'd use the tripod more often- it'll save you a few quid..!!

Some small,good low light performers... Panasonic LX-7,Sony RX100 and Nikon's V1/J1 is pretty good also....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2013, 6:22 AM   #5

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC‑GF5

I have just bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC‑GF5 with 14‑42mm f3.5‑5.6 G Vario which I find gives better results indoor that either my TZ7 or TZ25. I must say that both the TZ7 or the TZ25 took decent indoor pictures which I have used on EBay many times. Just make sure you dont use Inteligent Auto (IA mode) which I find is absolutley usless indoors. Try P Mode and set ISO to 400 and you shouldn't have any problems.
Pixmate700 is offline   Reply With Quote