Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:29 AM   #11
csa

I guess it boils down to whether I want to get something like the G5, or go for the FZ200.

As far as "why" I want another camera, I would just enjoy having another along with my FZ40 to use & enjoy.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
I guess it boils down to whether I want to get something like the G5, or go for the FZ200.

As far as "why" I want another camera, I would just enjoy having another along with my FZ40 to use & enjoy.
Whilst I wouldn't discourage anyone from adding another camera to their collection (after all,I have several....), it might be an idea to consider what your current camera's strengths and weaknesses are- and possibly fill those "weak points" with your new purchase...

The FZ200 won't "add" to your FZ40- it will replace it, as it basically upgrades it in every respect....
A G5 is a nice camera,with potentially far better IQ than even the FZ200- though given it's perilously close to DSLR dimensions (especially with lenses attached....) you could argue for going down that route- and going with an APS-C sensor will yield even better IQ/dynamic range...
Perhaps something compact would genuinely "add" to your camera collection- giving you something to slip into a pocket which you could carry around just about anywhere- even in places where you're not supposed to have them...
They're great for quick candid work also,as people seem untroubled (or just don't notice...) by the presence of a compact- not so with a big lens pointing around... see how they run...!!
Much to ponder Carol....

P.S- for what it's worth... I'm considering an FZ200 purchase myself- simply because it "upgrades" my FZ150- which I love dearly- but the f/2.8 lens adds a whole new dimension.
Come to think of it,I'd like an LX7 also....

Last edited by SIMON40; Jun 14, 2013 at 6:08 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 10:52 AM   #13
csa

"Perhaps something compact would genuinely "add" to your camera collection- giving you something to slip into a pocket which you could carry around just about anywhere- even in places where you're not supposed to have them...
They're great for quick candid work also,as people seem untroubled (or just don't notice...) by the presence of a compact- not so with a big lens pointing around... see how they run...!!"

Living out in the boonies, and only going into town for groceries, etc., there's little use for me to have a compact. Not saying that down the road I won't get one, simply to carry in my purse in case of an accident, or wildlife along the road; but right now, it's not my priority.

It's really down to the FZ200 or the G5.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Jun 14, 2013, 12:43 PM   #14

Hi Carol__

I have also "salivated" over the FZ200. I did purchase an FZ150 but returned it.
Occasionally, Amazon has the FZ200 at a good price (not today 6/14).

If you choose to purchase an FZ200 from Amazon, you have a full 30 days to return it. Plenty of time for a "test drive".

I do recommend that you download and print the full FZ200 manual before your purchase. There is also a gentleman that has created several FZ200
"how to" videos on youtube. Sorry, I don't have the links.

Digcamfan
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:12 PM   #15
csa

I don't think I'd have a problem using the FZ200. It's basicly the same controls, etc., as my FZ40. Just improved greatly.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Jun 14, 2013, 1:47 PM   #16

Boonies...lol...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2013, 5:07 PM   #17
csa

Indeed I am in the Boonies! I live 20 miles from any store, etc. and have one only neighbor that lives here year round! Absolutely love it!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Jul 9, 2013, 10:04 PM   #18

I am almost settled on the FZ-200, but I read a review that the pop-up flash was closer to the lens so "here comes red-eye".

Can anyone enlighten me on this detail? I have an FX-20 and am thinking of upgrading.

Thanks - Rick
rickyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:13 AM   #19

I have the FZ150 and have seriously considered getting the FZ200 too but since i have never been able to come to terms with photography i haven't bought it. The FZ200 looks really good i have to admit but being useless at photography i cannot give any opinion on anything camera wise.
I love to read posts from knowledgable people like Simon40 but actually taking a good shot seems to be beyone me.
Graham Houghton is the man on you tube who does all the FZ200 tutorials and he is good i think. I subscribed even though i don't have the camera. I did get a Panasonic TZ30 for my pocket and carry that everywhere with me. Hubby suggested i get myself a DSLR but if i cannot get a good shot with teh FZ150 i see no point. I am just plain useless at photography. Anyway here is the youtube link for the FZ200 tutorials, they are good to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=x5DGzj3jRP0
I know Graham usually sells his cameras on e-bay when he is finished doing his tutorials, he does them on other cameras too, but he told me he wouldn't part with his FZ200 so he is keeping that one. Must be a good camera for him to keep it as he has had so many and sold them on, but not the 200.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.

Last edited by eysha; Jul 10, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2013, 5:24 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
Indeed I am in the Boonies! I live 20 miles from any store, etc. and have one only neighbor that lives here year round! Absolutely love it!
This is an OT comment [but I love Carol's note above] ....

I am about to visit friends on a cattle station in central Queensland
From their local town to the cattle station & back to town is a 350km round trip. Once the bitumen road stops, 50km from town, they only have 1/2-dozen neighbours over the next 125km

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote