Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 17, 2004, 4:41 PM   #1

Default FZ10 => LEICA lens or 'leica' lens?

Some sales people are saying that the lens on the Panasonic DCM FZ10 is a true LEICA lens (designed and made by Leica)... others say it is a lens licensed by Leica produced by another company to Leica standards.

Which is true?

If it is not manufactured by Leica, is it truly up to the quality level of the lenses on the top shelf cameras wearing the Leica name plate?
pdxkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2004, 5:44 PM   #2

The optic elements are Leica and assembled by Panasonic when the camera is assembled - using the very same process and equipment Leica uses. Would you suspect that Leica would allow their name if the quality were any less?

This is explained in the latest catalog we handed out at PMA.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:48 PM   #3

Bob, would it be possible to get a copy of the catalog you mentioned? I'd really like one.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 9:15 AM   #4

Our Call Center should have them in 1-2 weeks. You can contact them at 1 800 272-7033
Old Feb 18, 2004, 3:37 PM   #5

I was literally told that it was farmed out to another company by a sales person at a local "Pro" shop.

Frankly, no disrespect to Leica intended, but now a days, companies do a lot of suprizing things that I never thought they would have tried pulling.

Now, I am questioning the other things I was told by that salesperson.... hmmmm... He seemed knowledgable too.
pdxkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 1:04 PM   #6

Default What was he trying to sell you?

Not to be too untrusting BUT was the sales person trying to sell you something more expensive that equaled more commission for HIM?

My grandfater used to say, "Never trust a man who isn't looking out for himself."

A lot of people cannot believe the price of the FZ-10. I believe that Panasonic probably found more efficient ways using better or improved tooling to put the lenses together. It would not be the first time a Japanese company started with somebody elese's method and improved it significantly driving out cost.

Just MHO,

Rob
robsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 3:38 PM   #7

There's a Japanese philosophy that encourages constant improvement and refinement with each product generation.

The quality reliability and consistency is largely due to standardized and automated procedures that eliminate the "human" factor. This is especially important when you have mechanical and optical tolerances that must be both precise and constant. With volume, the product gets more high tech though the cost may not rise in proportion.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:08 PM   #8

"The optic elements are Leica and assembled by Panasonic"

Thanks for your feedback on Leica. Can you expand a little on the Leica/Panasonic relationship. Are the optic elements made specifically for Panasonic cameras or would they as likely be used in Leica produced cameras? Are there any other digicams using Leica optics? With the FZ series, Panasonic has certainly put together a fine line of affordable cameras with the help of Leica.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:56 PM   #9

The Leica DC Vario-Summicron lens and the Leica DC Vario-Elmarit lens are listed on the Panasonic website as "two of Leica's most popular lenses," so I would imagine that they are used in other cameras.

What is interesting to me is that the DC Vario-Elmarit name is a little vague -- it's not really a model, type, or size of lens, because the FZ1, FZ10, LC43, LC33 and F1 all use the Vario-Elmarit lens, even though the lens features on these cameras are extremely different, including the zoom, the brightness, the number of elements/groups, etc. It would seem to me that such different lenses would have different names, but maybe I'm missing something that causes them to be named the same.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 6:20 PM   #10

Thanks. I thought I was the only one.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote