Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1

Default instruction series on FZ-150

Hi,
Have any FZ-150 users on the forum seen this series of instructional videos by Graham Houghton?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41NJJ3Nc0BE
...... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Jul 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM.
Shinnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2013, 2:17 PM   #2

There is a dedicated Panasonic P&S forum that would probably be better suited for your interests and get a lot more attention than the "What Camera to Buy" forum.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3

i didn't find my FZ150 that different from any other camera with PASM, and i found the menus were pretty intuitive. the rest can be figured out with a little experimentation.
pcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
There is a dedicated Panasonic P&S forum that would probably be better suited for your interests and get a lot more attention than the "What Camera to Buy" forum.
Yep...

Thread now moved.

JimC
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:59 PM   #5

Hi,
I only wanted to know what people thought of the series.
.... john
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:24 PM   #6

i think he might be a little misleading on using Ia mode almost exclusively . of course im a control freak when it comes to what parameters i allow my camera to shoot with so seeing someone start off with defaulting to Ia just rubs me the wrong way.
drewp21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 6:46 PM   #7

Without having watched those video's- I'd say that iA is ok- provided you're not shooting moving subjects or any scenes with movement,such as a street scene- though if it's a particularly bright day,you might get away with it... although iA use is hardly the basis for a tutorial- effectively being a "point and shoot" mode, which kinda sells the FZ-150 short...!!
I actually use iA for landscape shots, whereby the camera tweaks the dynamic range,sharpness,colour balance,noise reduction etc- and generally seems to produce better results than the usual program mode... with blue skies seeming more,well,blue as opposed to cyan...
More often than not,however, I'll be in shutter priority- with a decent speed set to cover most bases as I tend to shoot people,sports and wildlife...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 7:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinnen View Post
Hi,
I only wanted to know what people thought of the series.
.... john
John, I found the whole series of videos very helpful when I first got my FZ150, 8 months ago. He gives useful tips for setting up the camera in the different modes, and a better understanding of the camera in general, which was something I appreciated, having had a very old and less advanced bridge camera for many years.
I tend to use the P mode most of all, and the Aperture priority mode, and hardly ever the IA mode.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:02 PM   #9

Agree with John J. These instructional videos are fantastic for new camera users. I wish I had found this when I first got my FZ35 3 years ago!!!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2013, 10:53 AM   #10

Thanks All,
I thought the series was helpful, if for no other reason than it allowed me to relate terms and concepts I learned using my Canon S5is to similar ones used by the FZ-150, as a kind of jumping off point, and to help me navigate the menus and settings.
I think he recommended using the IA mode while one familiarizes oneself with the camera, or if one just wanted a point and shoot, which of course would be a huge under use of the device.
You'll probably all find this rather amusing, but I've had some trouble letting go of my S5 (must be an old age thing). It, of course, isn't nearly as capable as the FZ-150, except under ideal conditions. It's kind of like giving up an old pair of comfortable shoes. However, I am slowly letting go, and this video series has helped me to bridge the gap.
Thanks again for your help.
...... john

Last edited by Shinnen; Jul 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling