Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2004, 5:24 PM   #1

Default Help! Need driver for FZ1!

Hey.

So I'm in Kuwait, just finished with a tour of Iraq for the past six months. My DVD-Rom drive crapped out on me several months ago after enduring one too many Iraqi sandstorm.

I've got this nice little FZ1 that I bought at the PX today, but I've got no way of loading the drivers. I found drivers at the UK Panasonic site, but when I try to install them it tells me that the drivers are installed standard and I don't need to install them. Well DUH.

Obviously I emailed Panasonic tech support, but here we are 10 hours later and they've been no help -- they didn't even respond. That would sure be nice of them.

Can anyone help me out in finding the USB drivers for this bad boy? I've got pictures without a home right now, and they want to go to their home. If you've got the installer and can email them to me, that would be great also. The number is jeremy#jeremybotter.com (obviously you'd put an @ where the # is).

Thanks for any help in advance...and what's this noise about upgrading the firmware? I downloaded the firmware update -- should I actually install this thing? Of course, I need the USB driver before I can do THAT, too. :-)

Jeremy Botter
jeremybotter.com
JeremyBotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2004, 6:45 PM   #2

If you use Windows XP it usually just installs the drivers. Iím guessing that is why you are getting the message. Otherwise everything should have come with the camera. I have a FZ10 and havenít installed anything they gave me because I have XP but have had to in the past with Win98SE and other cameras.

If you have XP make sure SP1 from M$ is installed or the USB ports often donít work. If you have other USB devices working try the camera in one of the ports you know is working.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 8:04 PM   #3

Generic USB drivers work just fine.
My Win2K station accessed the FZ1 via USB without installing anything extra.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2004, 11:25 PM   #4

Jeremy,

We'll need to know what operating system you're using to help you out better.

In regard to USB support, I've only used Win95 (a rare version that included USB support), Win98, and WinXP. All of them will simply install the camera as an additional drive. For Win95 and Win98, I had to tell it search for new hardware once the camera was connected the first time, but after that it was automatically recognized. It was also recognized with WinXP the first time I connected the camera. It won't always "advertise" that it's connected/available -- sometimes you have to look at your available drives to see if a new one shows up. I didn't install the software that came with my FZ1, because I found it easier and faster to handle the picture transfer via "My Computer", but I'm a computer user from WAY back when things weren't so pretty, and I like having more control over what goes where.

Thanks for being over there in Iraq -- we appreciate what you're doing for us all over there!
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:21 AM   #5

THe CD that comes with the FZ1 includes all you'll need. If it wasn't included go back to the PX and exchange the unit.

With Win XP or Win 2000 just connect the camera using the supplied USB cable and the necessary file will be automatically loaded.

Tell me what operating system you are using and I'll get you what you need. I'll also need a mailing address.

BobK \
Panasonic
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:02 AM   #6

Bob, I don't think he has access to a CDROM drive on his notebook, because the environment over there killed it. He needs to download drivers from somewhere, and is having problems locating them online. He appears to want them emailed to him or told where they are available online.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:15 AM   #7

Let's see how he responds and I'll do what I can. I don't see this to be an issue that can't be quickly resolved.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 2:35 AM   #8

Sorry for the lateness of the reply -- I've been locked down at a wash rack washing my vehicle for the past 24 hours.

The problem with the USB drivers is that my CD drive no longer works due to the elements in Iraq. I tried downloading drivers from the Canadian site and the UK site, and also one that a forum regular on this site sent to me, and all three of them tell me that "The USB Driver is installed as standard, you do not need to install a USB driver." However, I *do* need to install the USB driver, because when I plug the camera into the computer, it goes through the process of "installing new hardware" and asks me if I want to connect to the internet to install the proper driver. I tried that, too, and it doesn't work either.

I'm running Windows XP.
JeremyBotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 6:49 AM   #9

Default The solution

A card reader cost les than 20 $

Regards
Nathcoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:41 AM   #10

Jeremy,
The camera should be recognized automatically by XP. If you are seeing message that suggest XP can't load the required driver than that sounds like you have either a missing or corrupted file within the XP installation.

Sorry to say that the files we include on the CD probably won't fix the problem. While I recognize your situation, related to the location, perhaps there is another PC you can try to verify the problem is with your PC.

Keep me updated and I'll do what's possible from this end.