Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:08 AM   #1

Default Air SHow Pics

http://s1311.photobucket.com/user/Wo...%20Show%202013

awful quality, i made quite a few noob errors on this outing, but i took the time to sort and size them etc so i might as well share them too :-D
killerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:10 PM   #2

You only made one error, and that was too fast a shutter speed for the piston engine'd aircraft, on the plus side your timing was unbelievably perfect. you have my sincere congratulations.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:05 AM   #3

Very nice series. Some of the shots are really good. Thanks for sharing.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 2:34 AM   #4

thanks, but the quality is really rubbish, they look okay at this size but at full rez they're awfully soft and painterly. found some discussion etc about how to get a blurred propellor disc but i don't know when i'll next get to a show to try out the tips.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 5:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerwolf View Post
thanks, but the quality is really rubbish
I don't think so - I know how difficult it is to shoot fast flying planes and choppers at airshows like this. As for the propeller - if you get it blurred, the vehicle might get blurred too, unless you pan it so tight. It would be interesting to see examples.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:04 AM   #6

well, here's a bunch from a guy called Hatstand over on DP Review, who's done a load of air show pics and put a ton of info up about his techniques etc ~ typically i found them after my air show, lol
http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52847

he uses the FZ200 too, and his pics are amazing.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 7:21 AM   #7

Yes, lovely, clean, clear, crisp photos. Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:34 AM   #8

As mentioned, you really need to use slower shutter speeds - around 1/160-1/200 for prop/rotor blur. Haze can be a strong contributing factor to substandard airshow pics -and that looks like it was present here. That atmospheric haze will degrade the sharpness and dull the photos. With larger sensor cameras you can work with the images a bit more to compensate.

The other aspect of image quality -how much did you crop photos where the planes are filling the frame? If you want a photo with the plane filling the frame you need to start with an image where the plane is filling 1/2 the frame already - at least with a plane in-flight. That's often scary to do - but the results will be better.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:49 AM   #9

planes were varying in size, generally about 1/4 frame or less. a lot of the issues would be my rubbish panning efforts i guess, lol. Hatstand uses a red dot sight which seems an excellent idea ~ far more natural than the LCD screen, and probably eliminate some of the issues i had w/ the sun being blinding and making the screen virtually unreadable at some angles. also, the ND filter seems a must.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerwolf View Post
planes were varying in size, generally about 1/4 frame or less.
That is your problem. You've got plenty of zoom on your camera. Your panning skills will improve when you force them to improve by zooming in much tighter. Fill more than 1/2 the frame with the plane and you'll start getting better shots. If you are at max zoom and they're only filling 1/4 or less of the frame you are too far away - and that's surprising - at least here in the States if you're inside airshow grounds you should be plenty close enough for that much zoom. Not for every maneuver, but a lot of the maneuvers are done right above the flight line.

You're not going to get quality shots with the subject so small in the frame and cropping so much.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote