Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 25, 2013, 12:49 PM   #11

Just an update... you cursed my TZ10...lol...
It seemed to pull in a mark very similar to yours on all images- that being a faint squiggle...!!
However- after a quick visit to youtube- and the resulting stripdown- I now have clean images again on my beloved TZ10...
My issue was a small hair on the IR filter....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nmwt0frZns
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2013, 11:11 PM   #12

That's a very good tutorial, Simon, and thanks for the link. However, I would think twice, or even thrice, before attempting to open the camera on my own!
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:43 PM   #13

What you see there is lint sucked into the camera when the lens goes in & out - it acts like a pump, pushing air in & out and dirt with the air. Carrying your camera in a loose plastic bag helps a lot.

The lint is usually on the sensor. It is apparently pretty easy to remove.

First try holding a vacuum cleaner nozzle close to the extended lens, sucking from all sides and run the lens in & out with the suction going. Do NOT let the vacuum grab the lens, be careful.

Second (and less dangerous than the chance of the vacuum sucking on to the lens) - go to YouTube and look up cleaning sensor on Panasonic cameras, there are a number of tutorials and even if you don't find your specific model, the procedure is about the same.

If it's IN the lens, not just on the back surface, there is a tutorial about taking the lans apart, by Graham Houghton. Looks complicated.

I've read numerous reports of succsessful sensor cleaning and no reports of real problems.

-Erik
Ohlsonmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:11 AM   #14

Well I finally after 4 more phone calls, voice messages and emails and another 2 hours of hold time got my moms camera taken care of (sent in July) they finally said they cut a check and said it will take another 2 - 4 weeks (though they told me back in august the check would be sent and never got here). Her camera they had no refurbs and do not repair the lower end models.

My camera model they fix (supposedly) has been sitting at Panasonic close to three weeks now, and I'm told I'm still looking at another up to 6 weeks just for it to be assigned to someone. By the time I get it back it will be out of warranty so I do hope they fix it and not make it worse.

Funny when I google Panasonic lumix + dust how many people have this problem, yet I don't see mention of other camera model well except some earlier DSLR's that have dust/sensor issues.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2013, 4:15 AM   #15

Also thanks for the tutorial's, the camera was still under warranty so I didn't want to risk taking it apart and breaking the screen or scratching the sensor.

I really hope they improve there customer service and support, I honestly can't believe what I been through. I'm not sure what I'll buy if they end up not fixing my camera I might look at the Sony DSC-WX300

Last edited by comfortablynumb; Oct 4, 2013 at 5:21 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 6:19 PM   #16

Another update I checked the repair link today it says completed with todays date, and a Fed-Ex tracking number. Doesn't show what was completed if anything but hopefully by Monday I'll finally have my camera back.

Also my mom Finally got a check today for the camera that was sent back in July. Speedy they aren't but from the looks of it they eventually get around to doing things.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:08 PM   #17

I've got another hair to deal with...! Bah...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2013, 7:29 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I've got another hair to deal with...! Bah...
Sorry Simon I'm still debating on keeping or selling my camera at a loss when I get it back. I really love most everything about this camera but these sensor issues are a huge drawback.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 5:02 AM   #19

I got this dark spot with my FZ50, after a good clean I have tried to get it again but cannot, I think it may have been an insect on the lens, anyway fingers crossed.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:32 PM   #20

Well surprise surprise camera never came today, Fed-Ex now shows Tuesday (last I checked it said Monday) but no activity since Friday so I'm really hoping it didn't get lost somewhere