Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 30, 2013, 2:54 PM   #1

Default Anyone else lens issues wtih Panasonic pic attached

Anyone else experience what is going on with Panasonic lenses lately? I have a ZS-15 and it just started doing this, but my family has been through at least three SZ-1's all eventually experiencing this issue.

Something get's in the lens, I don't think dust as we all bag our cameras and don't keep them in dusty conditions. You can see the pic attached from my ZS-15 that smudge is now appearing on all images. Not sure if i want to waste my time getting the camera repaired ( 4 - 6 weeks) or just buy another brand altogether.

Last edited by comfortablynumb; Aug 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM.
comfortablynumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2013, 3:47 PM   #2

Although that looks like a smudge,I'd say that's an out of focus fine hair- maybe at the rear of the lens mechanism... maybe even on the sensor...!
Have you had the camera long..? Is there any warranty remaining..?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Although that looks like a smudge,I'd say that's an out of focus fine hair- maybe at the rear of the lens mechanism... maybe even on the sensor...!
Have you had the camera long..? Is there any warranty remaining..?
It's still under warranty till October 15th, I was told there is a huge back log of repairs and will take 4 - 6 weeks to get to. So far this has been a very common problem on late model Panasonic's. My old LZ-8 knock on wood never had a problem. I googled Panasonic cameras + dust just now looks like there are a few complaints about dust on the sensor.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 4:47 PM   #4

Also just looked at the lens under some decent lighting it looks like there are fine dust specs inside the lens :/ I have 50 plus year old film cameras that look pristine.
Old Aug 30, 2013, 6:59 PM   #5

I'd suggest you have little option other than to get it repaired under warranty- at least it won't cost you nothing (other than postage)- even if you'll be without it for some time..!!
I have a TZ10 which as yet,has no such problems... touch wood...!!
Seems like a recent Panny' problem...?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 8:40 AM   #6

I had the same experience with a 4 week old SZ7.
The camera was always kept in a bag and not used in inclement conditions.
As it was still under warranty, Panasonic gave me an RGA # and I sent it to the Panasonic Service Center in McAllen Texas (I paid postage) for repair or replacement.
I was sent a refurbished SZ02, which came with the exact same problem! (dirt spec on the sensor).
I returned the SZ02 and was told they were out of replacement refurbs.
Eventually, another SZ02 was sent to me. It has arrived in good condition.
The time span from when I returned my SZ7 until I received this most recent replacement SZ02 was over 70 days.
Time will tell whether this most recently received SZ02 gets dirt behind the lens or on the sensor.
Although I am a Lumix/Pana fan, I would hesitate to purchase another Lumix compact zoom, based on this experience , and based on the numerous reports on the internet of this problem.

So, if your camera is still under warranty, by all means return it for repair/replacement.
But it could take time and patience to receive satisfaction.

Last edited by reisende54; Sep 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM.
reisende54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:53 PM   #7

I know what you mean about McCallen, I had the joy of dealing with them for both my moms camera and dads. The last experience with them (returning my moms camera) is still going on a month + later! At first they said they had software/system updates customer returns are not linking up wtih items actually returned to them, what?!
Then they told me since I sent it priority mail (tracking confirmed it showed delivered). To call USPS ask them to ask the driver where he put the box they can't find it, "This is an industrial area with lots of docks" umm no it shows delivered and you just told me a few seconds ago your having issues there. I was promised call backs, I was promised supervisor call backs never to get any of them. Not to mention each time calling there I had to sit on hold half hour to 45 minutes or longer ("sorry we have a large amount of callers").
Most recently they told me the camera was just delivered but they have no stock to replace it. No the camera was delivered close to a month ago thank you. "Well in any case we don't have stock" So now there saying there going to cut a check but that could take another 4 - 6 weeks!

For my fathers SZ1 I had to go through #(%*# and back as well they finally sent him a Refurb SZ02 I think it was, which is the same model but sold only at WalMart not sure why they would have diff model numbers but it worked, knock on wood. Well in regards to not having a dirty sensor, but he said the zoom is really touchy, not sure what he means I'm going to have to look at it and go over it.

I too love Panasonic cameras but I can not keep going through this, unfortunately I'm going to have to go through this yet again with my camera, but this is really it I'm done and I'm moving away from Panasonic. There is nothing else out there I really like but to save my sanity I'll have to compromise.

Last edited by comfortablynumb; Sep 2, 2013 at 4:59 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:08 PM   #8

G'day CN

Don't be too hard on the Panny service people - they're no doubt busy and possibly understaffed - more staff = more thruput = less time etc etc

A few years back I was in contact with Fuji Australia regarding 2 of my cameras needing a techo-once over. As I was travelling and these cameras were in daily use, the techo & I agreed on a delivery to Fuji strategy in a 4-week window before I was to go for a 10-week trip from mainland Australia to Tasmania - not far in distance but a damn long way when you're constantly moving day-to-day

Needless to say, the cameras did not arrive before the departure - and when I started phoning the office, the office staff quoted the official line - all cameras have a 6 to 8 week turn around time for servicing

Not to be outdone I had to arrange with the service techo to airfreight one of the cameras to me [via special deal & at huge cost] for the last 3 weeks of the trip I was doing

I was not a happy-chappy to be without 'my right arm' for all this time

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:15 PM   #9

Heh I don't think I"m hard on them at all, I been more then polite. But if you say your going to do something not once, not twice but three times then you should do it. IE: three different calls in I was advised I would be called back 24 - 48 hours I waited 4 business days and no call backs. Ask for supervisor they will call you back...

Not only that: I forgot to mention EVERY call I was advised "There are no case notes showing you ever called in or what's going on here" That was more then annoying after sitting on hold for an hour re-hashing everything, giving them tracking numbers etc.. that should of all been in the notes.

I mean where going on months here, and I'm still waiting for a resolution on one camera, and now mines needs service?

Again I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I've been very nice not to mention VERY patient. On top of it all I have a lot of medical issues which compounds things, not that they should care any more or less.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:23 AM   #10

comfortablynumb- you have my sincerest sympathies- and whilst I suspect it won't make you feel any better, rest assured, service such as what your experiencing is not confined to the world of cameras, but the modern world in general...!!
In the modern world, "face to face" transactions are rare- and thus, the personal touch is long gone.