Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2004, 7:04 PM   #1

Default DCM-FZ10 review (3/2004) by Megapixel.net

Been searchin' and searchin', and readin' and readin' every review I find on this a a handful of other digi-cams... found the all new review (March 2004) by Megapixel.net of the Panasonic DCM-FZ10

click hear for the review

...just thought you may want to read this one too.
pdxkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:00 PM   #2

I see under regrets
"No uncompressed image format." AND
"Would have benefited from a low compression setting."
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 1:49 PM   #3

that is my main hesitation with purchasing this camera...

I wonder when/if the FZ20 (or whatever they call the next model) will have RAW format and/or TIFF. I am hoping for RAW.

A nice focus assist light would be good or even better would be a laser setup like that on the F717 & F828.
pdxkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 4:41 PM   #4

You really owe it to yourself to look at as many pictures from the FZ10 as you can and determine if the noise and minor lack of detail are too severe for you. Even with some slight limitations, itís a very nice camera and on the whole takes good pictures, especially outdoors. I also like the color fidelity. Then of course, there's that zoom.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 1:12 AM   #5

An interesting review, not glowing but mostly positive.

I do have some comments:

"The stabilizer uses a gyroscope to stabilize the focal node of the lens, preventing most camera shake from interfering with the image".

As far as I know, the FZ10 does not use gyroscopes for the IS.

"and with long exposures, the FZ10 doubles the exposure time, apparently while performing some sort of noise reduction which is undocumented" and, later,
"the DMC-FZ10 clearly applies some sort of noise processing to long exposures as it doubles the exposure time, apparently capturing a black frame to identify noise and then extract it from the actual exposure, but it is completely undocumented."

Well, we figured it out, as well as ways to disable it (burst or bracketing mode).

"However, like the FZ1, the FZ10 only provides 2 JPEG compressed formats "

The level of compression seems to be similar to that of the FZ1 (higher than the one that is used by the FZ2).

"the FZ10 would have benefited from a focus assist lamp as it can have difficulty focusing in low light"

Unofrtunately, several manufactures seem to think that long-zoom cameras are never used at close range. This is of course nonsensical, particularly in the case of the FZ series that have somewhat better wide angle capabilities than the "standard" 10X zoomers.

"Regrettably, the manual supplied with the DMC-FZ10 is not one of the best we've seen. Explanations are often unclear in the English version of the manual, and ocassionally unintentionally confusing"

Yes, there are some instances of "Engrish" in the manual. The PAL/NTSC bit comes to mind (although I think that I figured that one out).

"At the wide angle setting, the FZ10 yields images that show little distortion and no major chromatic aberration, even when there are strong contrasts, as is the case below where the building "I" beams are juxtaposed on the sky."

However, I notice what seems to compression artifacts along the beam edges, unless they were introduced by resizing the image.

"For these images, the FZ10 is set to 50 ISO, the setting that is the least prone to noise, and the deeper shadows in the image (see below) clearly show that although some noise is present, it is minimal."

Minimal noise at the camera's lowest sensitivity is nothing to brag about. It seems that all the pictures were taken at ISO 50, thus the issue of noise is sidestepped.

All in all, a decent review. I'd say it is more critical than Steve's but less than Jeff's.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 9:37 AM   #6

If you do not think that is a good review, look how they feel about the Fuji S7000 or the Minolta A1.
Gene
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by genece
If you do not think that is a good review, look how they feel about the Fuji S7000 or the Minolta A1.
It depends on the meaning of "good review" in this context.

If it means "the reviewer did a good job reviewing the camera" then I'd say that it was an OK review, although I prefer the more in-depth style of Dave Etchells on imaging-resource.

If, on the other hand, it means "the reviewer gave the camera good marks" then, yes, the review was good. Not gushing, "best camera ever" good but still good.

Regarding the review of the A1, it is not a fair comparison since megapixel.net do their tests using the automatic mode of the cameras and the A1 really shines in the customization and flexibility departments.

I also feel that their A1 review was more critical than than the FZ10's. For example, they gave it lower mark on focusing, which is strange as if focuses faster than the FZ10 and has a subject tracking focus mode. Maybe the "wow factor" of the stabilized 12X zoom coloured their perception and the A1's complexity turned them away?
Old Feb 21, 2004, 9:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Alex, have you seen something to the contrary? Someone over at Phil's said the same thing so I referred the question to Bob a few weeks ago, but I don't know if he saw it. If I have the camera in Mode 1 IS, I can hear what I had assumed were the gyros spinning whenever the camera is powered on. If I have in in Mode 2, I only hear the sound if the shutter is depressed halfway. Although the manual doesn't mention gyroscopes, I have seen literature that mentioned "Gyro Sensors", but I havenít been able to find anything that mentions gyroscopes specifically. It does seem hard to believe that it would be possible to get their mass spinning at full speed in time for Mode 2 usage.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
Alex, have you seen something to the contrary?
Bob mentioned "magnetically suspended coils" (or something to that effect) on Phil's.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
If I have the camera in Mode 1 IS, I can hear what I had assumed were the gyros spinning whenever the camera is powered on. If I have in in Mode 2, I only hear the sound if the shutter is depressed halfway. ...
That I believe might be the sound of the magentic coils getting energized.

but then I also believe that is the sound og the motor that pushes the lense out at high speed, a speed a tad bit higher than what the slide can sustain, and hence causing a slight vibration in the process.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote