Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:04 PM   #1

Default PVC Cover for DMC-FZ10

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the 'Zing Designs' PVC camera cover for the FZ10.

You can see it here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=113791&is=REG

In particular, the 'Standard SLR Cover' which is available from B&H for $29.95. From the pictures, it looks like it might do the job of just protecting the camera from lumps and bruises.

I spoke to one of the people at the Panasonic booth at the recent PMA Show in Las Vegas. He knew of no plans for Panasonic to bring out a case especially made for the FZ10.
paulmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:49 PM   #2

Paul,
This looks like it's made out of a similar material used for some Panasonic cases only offered in Japan. Also at PMA, Bogen was showing their line of cases that I believe will be offered under the Kata or Katar name. These looked interesting.

Since you were at PMA, I'm curious if you had a chance to see the photos we had on display that were taken with the LC1 and FZ1?

I sopke to several people who frequent this site, but you're the first to mention you attended.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:02 PM   #3

http://prodb.matsushita.co.jp/produc...4&hb=DMW-CZS10

Not available in the US yet.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:02 PM   #4

Re PMA. to be honest I did not see the photos you mentioned. We had already walked the show for 3 hours, and by the time we got to the Panasonic booth, we were eagerly elbowing our way to the exit.

This was the third annual PMA/LV show we attended. As a consumer with no ties to the biz, it's fun to do. However, if you read Steve's site, DPR, DCRP and some others regularly as I do, there was nothing there that we hadn't seen and/or read about previously.

Thanks for the feedback on the case. Do you think the one I pointed out will fit OK?
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:16 PM   #5

Default Re: camera cover

Check out this page, it lists which Zit cover goes with which camera. FZ10 not listed, but you can pick out one with same shape/size and go with that.
http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/body_fitlist.htm
jtwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
This looks like it's made out of a similar material used for some Panasonic cases only offered in Japan.
:shock: AUGH!

Okay, I'll risk asking the question -- what possible reason could Panasonic have for not distributing a custom case for a particular camera to other markets where the same camera is sold?

These are things I just will never understand.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:26 PM   #7

When I asked the rep in the Pana booth at the PMA show why there was no case marketed for the FZ10, he said that camera cases have never been a moneymaker for them. That's probably as true and candid and answer as anyone is going to get.

Doesn't make it right, but it still doesn't make it untrue.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmj
When I asked the rep in the Pana booth at the PMA show why there was no case marketed for the FZ10, he said that camera cases have never been a moneymaker for them. That's probably as true and candid and answer as anyone is going to get.

Doesn't make it right, but it still doesn't make it untrue.
Well, they must be a money maker in Japan (see above link). I mean really, the case is probably made in China for maybe a buck, then sold for the equivalent of $37 and there's no profit?
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 12:19 AM   #9

I'm only the messenger.

On the other hand, no one ever bought an expensive camera because there was a case available. Matshusita is an electronics company and probably felt that they wouldn't enhance nor discourage the sales of their cameras whether or not they had a Made in China case.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:47 AM   #10

Okay, I'll risk asking the question -- what possible reason could Panasonic have for not distributing a custom case for a particular camera to other markets where the same camera is sold?
These are things I just will never understand.

I suspect it's about volume.
After you calculate the cost of the item, the importation, storage and distribution costs, sometimes it's obvious that the aftermarket items represent a better value. I'd susspect that there are also minimum quantities and the issue of getting a dealer to stock the item. I'm not the marketing person but the hidden costs can be a killer.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote