Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2004, 4:22 PM   #1

Default Phoenix 2x Digital Telephoto

There has been a lot of talk over at Phil’s about various telephoto add-on lenses for the FZ10. The prevailing champ for the moment seems to be the Olympus TCON-17 used in conjunction with the Yoshida adapter (although some with deeper pockets prefer the Sony VCL-HGD1758). Several people have been asking about the 2x Phoenix lens, not the one for camcorders, but specifically for digital cameras. Well after three weeks of trying to get one, It finally arrived today. All I can say is avoid it at all costs. You would be better off using the bottom of a Coke bottle. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find anyone who had used the lens, so I called Phoenix directly and spoke to someone who had actually tried it on a few cameras. His praise for the lens was very enthusiastic and their web site states “They really are incredibly sharp.” Unless they are cutting bologna with this lens, I don’t see what is so sharp about it. At first I thought perhaps there was too much zoom to handhold, so I put the camera on a tripod and used the timer. Same story, blurry photos, especially at the edges and severe CA. Too bad, that would have made the FZ10 in the neighborhood of a whopping 840mm zoom, great for birding.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2004, 5:01 PM   #2

what is the address of phil´s forum?
callas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 5:39 PM   #3

Callas, check your PM.

Well ain't this just grand. It looks like the B-300 site posted some samples a couple of days ago. I wish these would have been up three weeks ago! Pemaraal's examples reinforce what I just described, soft focus, blurred edges and severe CA. Well, now I know it's not just me.

http://www.b-300.com/phoenix.html
Old Feb 20, 2004, 6:17 PM   #4

Phil's Panasonic forum at http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1033
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:21 PM   #5

I have posted some test images taken with the FZ10 + B300 lens with 0, 2x and 3x digital zoom. I was surprised how well the 3x digital zoom worked. Have a look at:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7721222
H Ables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:02 PM   #6

I saw those earlier today, great shots. I'd like to see some comparison shots, all thinks being equal, between the B300 and TCON-17. I have a TCON, but that B300 sure does look sharp. I have to wonder if it's not a better lens.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:08 PM   #7

If anyone is looking for a cheap teleconverter for either the FZ1 or FZ2, the Vision Optics Titanium 2x Digital Tele Lens works fairly well for a cheap teleconverter. You can always find it new on eBay from several different sellers for about $40 (and they usually include a lens cleaning kit and mini-tripod as a gimmick). I actually got mine used from eBay for $15.

There doesn't appear to be any loss of quality at the edges, but I have noticed some CA in a few shots (but not all). There seems to be specific conditions that you will get CA, and those can be avoided. About the only signficant drawback of this teleconverter is that it's not actually a 2x. After noticing that the zoom just didn't seem to add up, a couple of more experienced digicam folks pointed out to me that it appears to be a 1.3x. Still, it gives you a little extra zoom, and since I got mine for the less than the price of the average filter, it's not too bad.

If you can swing the $ for the TCON, you'd definitely be happier. But if you can't, the Vision Optics one isn't too bad for a much cheaper alternative. FYI, it's more commonly found in 52mm thread size, which is what I have and use a step ring on my FZ1. There's no vignetting from about 4x and up.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 5:45 AM   #8

isn´t the b300 and the tcon 17 the same thing?
callas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 9:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas
isn´t the b300 and the tcon 17 the same thing?
I don't know if anyone outside of Olympus knows the answer to that. The specs are the same, but why would Olympus drop the B300 then come out with the TCON-17?
Old Feb 21, 2004, 10:14 PM   #10

Hi Chris, I've seen you mention this lens before. I've always heard to stay away from the Titanium lenses, but yet I once bought a Sima 2x for my digital camcorder off of Ebay for 99˘ and it works quite well. Do you have any sample pictures yet? I always find it great fun to experment with different lens, but if I know in advance that a lens won't work well, I usually won't bother with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
If anyone is looking for a cheap teleconverter for either the FZ1 or FZ2, the Vision Optics Titanium 2x Digital Tele Lens works fairly well for a cheap teleconverter. You can always find it new on eBay from several different sellers for about $40 (and they usually include a lens cleaning kit and mini-tripod as a gimmick). I actually got mine used from eBay for $15.

There doesn't appear to be any loss of quality at the edges, but I have noticed some CA in a few shots (but not all). There seems to be specific conditions that you will get CA, and those can be avoided. About the only signficant drawback of this teleconverter is that it's not actually a 2x. After noticing that the zoom just didn't seem to add up, a couple of more experienced digicam folks pointed out to me that it appears to be a 1.3x. Still, it gives you a little extra zoom, and since I got mine for the less than the price of the average filter, it's not too bad.

If you can swing the $ for the TCON, you'd definitely be happier. But if you can't, the Vision Optics one isn't too bad for a much cheaper alternative. FYI, it's more commonly found in 52mm thread size, which is what I have and use a step ring on my FZ1. There's no vignetting from about 4x and up.