Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:06 PM   #21

G'day Carol

Cameras ... cars ... household appliances ... people > 99% are "all good" but there's always the odd one that ain't

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:33 AM   #22
csa

I'm just very glad that I couldn't wait, & took a couple of photos to discover this malfunction! The store Target, was wonderful; no questions asked, just traded another for this one.

I'm hoping the FZ70 will work as tirelessly and as trouble-free as my FZ40 has!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:12 PM   #23

Carol, since you have an FZ40, you must have confidence in the long zooms to go even further with the FZ70.

I have an FZ35. But, I rarely use the zoom. If I do, it is only about 8X (half way). My belief is that the top end of the zoom does not produce good images. Yes, I have used supports, not just hand-held. I'm disappointed in the top-end.

I believe I am ready to give up the FZ35. I've shot lots of pics over the three years, but very few with the zoom, and virtually none with the top-end (yes, I shot them, but they never made it off the camera). My assumption is that these mega-zoom cameras have limited function in this regard.

I believe that I am ready to put it on the shelf, and move to a DSLR. But, I am concerned about which lenses to get. I've done much research, and believe that an 18mm-125mm would be a good choice for shooting public events. But, having had a less than favorable experience with the top-end zoom on my FZ35, I am not sure if the 18-125 would be a good choice. Maybe the lenses for DSLR are so much better that my concern is unwarranted.

Anybody else go through this decision tree?
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:27 PM   #24
csa

I've loved the long zoom, rarely use a tripod. I mostly do scenic and wildlife, and the long zoom has been perfect for me. Here is just one that was full zoom with the FZ40, handheld.
Attached Images

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:30 PM   #25
csa

Roger, perhaps start a new thread looking for your DSLR in the DSLR forum, or whatever brand you are looking at.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:31 PM   #26

Thanks. I've tried 16X with my FZ35 on birds on the feeder, holding the camera on a window sill. But, I have never achieved this kind of result. It was just for these kinds of shots that I went with the FZ35. When I bought it, I think the FZ40 was not yet on the market.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:35 AM   #27
csa

As I mentioned, I rarely use a tripod, except for night scenes, and have had excellent results with the FZ40. I try to lean against a tree, etc., and tuck my elbows against my body, take a breath, & hold it, while pushing the shutter button. BTW, most of mine are shot using the "P" setting.

I would imagine with the extended zoom on the FZ70, I might have to use a tripod, but with the image stabilization; only time will tell.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:50 AM   #28

Thanks. Yes, I understand those techniques as well. I have never tried night photos, though.

I had already started searching the Nikon and Canon forums for threads. My candidates are Canon T5i, 60D, or Nikon 5200.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:41 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger53 View Post
Thanks. Yes, I understand those techniques as well. I have never tried night photos, though.

I had already started searching the Nikon and Canon forums for threads. My candidates are Canon T5i, 60D, or Nikon 5200.
Hi Roger. If I was going to get a DSLR and wanted to shoot birds/wildlife I would concentrate on what lens to get more than what body. I think the glass is what makes the biggest difference, just me.

jj
Old Dec 14, 2013, 12:41 PM   #30
csa

"I had already started searching the Nikon and Canon forums for threads. My candidates are Canon T5i, 60D, or Nikon 5200."

You'd best start a thread in the Canon & Nikon DSLR forums, since this forum is for Panny's, and this thread is about the FZ70.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~