Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 21, 2004, 1:33 PM   #1
Koz

Default FZ1 Night Photography question

Hey,

I'm debating the purchase of a FZ1 or FZ10. I am aware the FZ10 offers manual control of the camera settings and the FZ1 is fully automated.

My primary use for this camera will be photography of street scenes and cities from high vantage points (hills and lower inner-city mountains). Night time photos will need to pick up street lighting and distant skylines as I shoot from atop mountains or hills. Will the FZ1 do a decent job or will it fail to pick up lighting from office buildings some 5km away (using moderate or full zoom)? Is the FZ10 a better choice for night time photography? I am not a professional photographer and do not mind the automation of the FZ1, but require something that will do a good job at night.

I have decided to go with either of the two as the zoom and stabilization has me sold.

Here's something I hope I can capture with the FZ1. Is this possible, or is the FZ10 the camera for the job? Would anyone be willing to post some night shots with the FZ1 of similar settings, perhaps?

Thanks!
Koz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:18 AM   #2

Forthe FZ1/FZ2 see this post
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...hlight=#103588
For the FZ10 maybe someone else can enlighten you...
Good luck!
Santope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:32 AM   #3

The FZ-2 (or FZ-1 upgrades) allows exposures up to 8 sec. with an maximum open aperture of F4.6 (F8 without EV bias), this should be enough for most situations, except photographing stars or moon light photography.
lushlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lushlife
The FZ-2 (or FZ-1 upgrades) allows exposures up to 8 sec. with an maximum open aperture of F4.6 (F8 without EV bias), this should be enough for most situations, except photographing stars or moon light photography.
According to the upgrade documentation, an 8 sec. shutter speed (in [S] mode) allows apertures between f/2.8 and f/8.0.

Am I missing something?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 3:56 PM   #5

I think if you interested mainly in night time photography then OIS is useless to you. I would look at a camera which has low noise, longer shutter speed than 8sec. and so on.

I have an upgraded fz-1. Here is one of nightime fz-1 shots of San Francisco from across the bay.

[/img]
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:43 PM   #6
Koz

I appreciate the responses. It looks like I'll be able to work-around the shortcomings of the FZ1 and come up with some decent night shots.

I've noticed the FZ1 is being quietly replaced by the FZ2 by some retailers here in Canada. Hopefully some retailers will further reduce prices without simply phasing out the old model with the new one.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz
I've noticed the FZ1 is being quietly replaced by the FZ2 by some retailers here in Canada. Hopefully some retailers will further reduce prices without simply phasing out the old model with the new one.
I don't think that you can get the FZ1 in Canada anymore.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:29 PM   #8
Koz

Is that right? I guess Henrys.com was one of the last retailers to sell it (until mid-afternoon today, that is). I checked out an A&B Sound (eletronics store, not sure if they're out east) and was surprised to see they only sold the FZ2. Up until that point I thought an FZ1 and FZ10 were the only models on the market.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 2:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Quote:
According to the upgrade documentation, an 8 sec. shutter speed (in [S] mode) allows apertures between f/2.8 and f/8.0.

Am I missing something?
I don't know about the upgrade but the limit at 8 sec., ISO50 for the FZ-2 is (regardless of the firmware version) F4.6 (F3.3 with bracketing but this disables "ccd compensation"), faster speeds allow wider apertures, higher ISO forces smaller apertures.
Also it is impossible to use ISO400 at F2.8 for an 1 sec. exposure in "S" mode , however if you set aperture to F2.8 in "A" mode (which is limited to exposures up to 1 sec.) this is possible.
Confusing, isn't it ?
lushlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 9:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Confusing, isn't it ?
That's when a full manual mode could come handy.