Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 6, 2013, 8:39 PM   #1

Default Big Gripe abot Panasonic

I have a not quite 2 yr old Lumix DMC-SZ5 with a Panasonic lens. I loved it UNTIL I developed spots on my photos, which apparently are from dust inside . Researching, I found Panasonic seems to have a problem with this but they will do nothing for me. I can have it cleaned here for $75-$100 but I think I'll just get a new camera. Maybe go back to Canon. If I get it cleaned they tell me I would need to wipe it every time I zoom in/out or it'll happen again. Ridiculous!
sjde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2013, 10:48 PM   #2

Here in India, it would cost me INR 1,000 (USD $16) at the most, but then there is no point if the problem is going to repeat. The fact that dirt gets in itself does not mean the assembly has a hole. This seems to be quite a common problem to all cameras.

There was a thread on such issues, with tips on DIY sensor cleaning (http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...ttached-2.html), where I think Simon gave this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nmwt0frZns. May be helpful for you.

Last edited by Raghu; Dec 6, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2013, 11:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjde View Post
I have a not quite 2 yr old Lumix DMC-SZ5 with a Panasonic lens. I loved it UNTIL I developed spots on my photos, which apparently are from dust inside . Researching, I found Panasonic seems to have a problem with this but they will do nothing for me. I can have it cleaned here for $75-$100 but I think I'll just get a new camera. Maybe go back to Canon. If I get it cleaned they tell me I would need to wipe it every time I zoom in/out or it'll happen again. Ridiculous!
I have a Panasonic ZS8, which developed spots after about six months. I tried to suck them out with a vacuum cleaner, with some positive results, but they came back again and again. I finally started using the camera as a paper weight, and bought a canon SX40HS, and have been thrilled. Sad, because for the short time the Panasonic worked good, I was very pleased with the output, and the sharpness of the Leica branded lens. Oh well, such is life.

Good luck to you in your decision.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:01 AM   #4

Lousy after sales services,unavailibility of batteries,and countless gripes of equally countless 'Dear valuable customers'.It is not Panasonic alone.The legendary Japanese companies are all of the same ilk nowadays.The Koreans are all over the place with increasingly satisfied customer base.Japan is on the decline.I am a big fan of the Japan but sadly it is becoming only a nostalgia.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5

I had a pretty good run with my TZ10- until about three months ago I found marks on my images.
I stripped it,cleaned it and all ok... for three weeks...!
Stripped/cleaned again.... again,ok for three or so weeks...!!
All's ok- so far- after 3rd clean...!!!
The crazy thing is- I don't know where the dust's coming from- as it's always in a case and pampered..!!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 10:30 AM   #6
csa

I've had an FZ40 for about 3 years, and it has performed flawlessly. Nothing on/in the lens. I love it so much I bought the FZ70 for Christmas.

Don't know if this makes a difference, but the lens cap is always on, plus a UV filter. When camera is not in use, it's always in a camera bag. I do wipe the zoom off with a micro cloth if I'm in dusty conditions.

Perhaps your particular model is more prone to this condition.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 1:34 PM   #7

Carol- as far as I'm aware, this issue is primarily a TZ problem, as opposed to an FZ problem... and my FZ150 is just fine... at the moment...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:50 PM   #8
csa

Thanks, that's good to know; I hope that they can fix the problem for the users of them.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2013, 3:55 PM   #9

G'day mate

Years ago I had some issues with my Fuji of the time and the Aussie mob didn't want to know about it - so I emailed Fuji HQ and they told the Aussie mob to pull their finger out and fix it

Maybe you could try the same with Panny - and mention in your email that "as this issue is being discussed internationally on this forum it might be in their PR interests to offer some support"

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2013, 6:33 AM   #10

As a matter of interest I have an old FZ7 I have had from new, 9 yrs old now I think.
I keep it as a back up for all the situations I dont want to use my Nikon for. ie very dusty places and sand blown beaches. I have never had any spots on my pics but and it's big but the FZ7 has a screw on filter adapter sleeve so the lens goes in and out inside that so it's in effect sealed against dust.So I would only buy a Panasonic which has this feature.Unfortunately it stops you from putting the camera into your pocket.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote