Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:57 AM   #1

Default Change FZ 18 for FZ 200?

I have had the FZ18 since September 2007. Three years ago I bought a FZ45 from Ebay and found the quality of photo was the same as the FZ18 so I sold the FZ45. I think the FZ200 has the same sensor as the FZ45 but has fewer megapixels. I am not very well up in the technical details and wondered if the FZ200 (with its slightly larger sensor than the FZ18) will be a lot better than the FZ18. I know it has 2.8 throughout the zoom and the lens starts at 25mm as opposed to 28mm for the FZ18. The extra 100mm zoom would be nice. When I turn the FZ18 on in P mode it sometimes shows a review of a photo. A quick turn of the dial solves this. The dial is becoming a bit tighter to turn as well. I have taken many thousands of photos with the FZ18. I know the video is much better on the FZ200 but I am not that bothered with taking videos.

Last edited by Stephen170; Dec 15, 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Stephen170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:20 AM   #2

Six years is really a good time to stick on with a camera :-)

The FZ200 is real good, with a constant F2.8 being its USP. I have seen and heard only good things about it.

If you have the money, buy it. You won't regret.
paray2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 11:24 AM   #3

FZ200 is certainly good. But, I would suggest you to just wait a little and get to know about FZ70 as well - latest from Pana, 16 mega, 60X, 20mm wide angle and at a much lesser price too! It would be good to see Carol's (the only one who seems to have actually GOT it on hands) pics and feedback, and then make your move.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:20 PM   #4
csa

Depending on your photography needs, you might consider the FZ70. I was dyed in the wool for a year to get the FZ200, then the FZ70 came out; less in price, but a whopping 60X zoom, and 20mm wide.

Here's my thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pa...8612-fz70.html

Not at all trying to talk you out of the FZ200, the main reason I got the FZ70 was because of my wildlife shooting, the much longer zoom lens fit my needs better.

The reason I've not posted any images from the FZ70 yet, as this was my Christmas present (to me, from me) and I'm determined to wait till Christmas to use it.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:14 PM   #5

G'day Stephen

Every camera maker is developing both the optics and the internal software as each model rolls off the line. Thus the differences between the FZ18 & the FZ200 are huge.

My first Fuji was the S-5000 with 10x zoom - my current Fuji is the X-s1 with 26x zoom. But more than this, the EVF is 1000% better; the menu options give more options; the rear LCD screen now swivels around rather than being fixed ... and so it goes on

I absolutely loved the S-5000 and thought it was the antz-pantz, however recently I found a 2nd-hand S-5000 and bought it ~ to find the EVF a load of crap and the 10x zoom just didn't cut-the-mustard as the old saying goes

I would suggest that "it's time" to seriously consider your future ~ take Carols FZ70 suggestion if you wish, or go for the FZ200 if that's what will suit you

Whatever you do, I'm sure you won't regret it
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:30 PM   #6
csa

Phil, I agree; I don't think a person could go wrong with either!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 3:38 PM   #7

Thanks for your suggestions. When I had the FZ45 ( only for a few days) I found it wasn't so easy to control the 24x zoom so I reckon the FZ70's 60x zoom would be impossible to hand hold and I don't need 60x anyway. The lens starting at 20mm is tempting though, as is the swivel screen of the FZ200 and the 2.8 throughout the zoom range. I can get a refurbished FZ 200 (with a year's guarantee) for 300. That is only 13 more than I paid in 2007 for the FZ18. I should have waited for the FZ18 to go down in price, but I wanted it there and then
Stephen170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:00 PM   #8

G'day Stephen

I have said here & elsewhere a number of times - it is my belief, based on personal experience, that "all superzooms need to be on a tripod when over 20x zoom"

The anti-shake systems work quite okay, but the extreme magnifications of 20x and above are more than the camera can work with and maintain 100% sharpness. My images - where I am resting against a tree or a post will have maybe 95% sharpness; standing freely I may get 90% sharpness, but put the images on the screen at 100% and the fine sharpness that you get used to with other images, just is not there

Santa is bringing me a specially made monopod to take walking with me so that I can get 100% sharpness all the time
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote