Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2004, 6:48 AM   #1

Default FZ10 PreProduction models ??

Has anyone else received the FZ10 box labeled as
Order no: DMC-FZ10PP-K

Just wondering if the PP stands for Pre Production

Other than indoor issues with white ballance, I *love* the camera
BigOldDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:15 AM   #2

Mine was labeled as such and in another forum this subject was breifly discussed. It is believed they are *all* labeled that way.
m.achure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:52 AM   #3

"PP" does not stanf for "pre-production". It's part of the extended model number we use in the order system.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:55 AM   #4

Default Re: Indoor white balance on FZ10

The FZ10 has a wonderful solution to white balancing in any situation, including indoors where there tends to be yellow-orange lighting.

The right-most choice on the main menu's White Balance lets you set the WB according to the actual lighting conditions, without knowing what those conditions are. When you get to that choice, the camera will ask you to point it at a white surface and press the shutter button. Instead of taking a picture, it sets WB.

A whitish wall or ceiling will do just fine. A white card or paper will, too, but most of them actually are somewhat gray.

A trick others have suggested works very well for me: covering the lens with a Pringles lid (no kidding) and then pressing the shutter button sets WB very nicely. The idea, of course, is to still aim towards something white, but you can aim at the lights themselves this way. The Pringles lid acts as a diffuser. It's translucent (looks clear when touching a surface, but once moved a couple of inches away, it's translucent) and close enough to white to do the job.

A similar lid from anything will work: almonds, small yogurt containers, etc.

If you want to get fancy, here's a link to making a lens cap that has a Pringles lid in the middle of it, so you can leave the cap on the camera while WB'ing:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?i...58&mode=invite
Charlie Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 1:56 PM   #5

This was an old trick that was first used with our VHS camcorders. Be careful though as if the thickness of the cap is excessive it also attentuates the amount of light. Also, understand that "white" is not always white. Slight variations in "white" can produce color shifts that would be more noticeable than a slightly "off white" reference sample.

While manual white balance is a bit more time consuming, it will genaerally produce the most accurate color.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 4:07 PM   #6

Don't know about the FZ10, but with my FZ1 the only time you need to touch the white balance is for available light shots. If you're using the flash, the FZ1 always chooses better white balance in auto mode than I can get using manual white balance.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote