Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 12, 2014, 6:16 PM   #1

Default 1 year with FZ150 + sand sculptures(1)

Hi folks,
Well it has been wet, dreary and miserable for many weeks, and as it is now one year since I bought my Panasonic FZ150, and quite a while since I contributed anything to this forum. So I thought that I might as well look back over the year and pick a few of the photos I didn't have time to post here.
First though, I'll add that I have now taken 4,894 photos with it, some good some bad (my fault, not the camera), and I am still amazed by the quality of the good ones. My only minor complaint is the playback button on the back of the camera, my thumb only has to touch it slightly and I am suddenly in play/review mode. Many hours have gone with experimentation with all the various settings, to see what results I get, which has probably confused me more....(due to my old age)
A couple of months ago I got the LC55 close up lens, but due to the weather and time of year, I haven't really been able to try it out yet.

Anyway here's some sand sculpture pics that I recently promised Raghu I would post. They were taklen last July at the Søndervig International Sand Sculpture Festival, the theme was the wild west.

First off, a panorama view of the site to give an idea of the size. Initially I thought that I would have difficulty with the panorama assist mode, having had a Fujifilm camera with auto stich, but to be honest I prefer the FZ150 assist mode, the autostitch on the other camera sometimes had varying exposure which really messed up the panorama view. This hasn't happened with the FZ150.

Here's the back of a sculpture of a buffalo.

And even more detail...

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2014, 12:19 PM   #2

very beautiful and original series ... great job John!
Old Jan 14, 2014, 7:42 AM   #3

Very nice series. I particularly like the last one, where even the folds of cloth is so well brought out. thanks for sharing. any idea how long they take to do this?
Old Jan 14, 2014, 6:03 PM   #4

Thanks Alex and Raghu.

Raghu, the artists work on them for approximately 1 week at the beginning of June, and they are exhibited until October. The artists are from many different countries. The sculprures on the "wall of sand" are mostly done by teams of 4+ people, some of the free standing exhibits are done by individuals.
2 years ago we went there when they were half way through creating them, we spent about 6 fascinating hours watching the artistic flair, and talking to some of the artists, a couple of them had come all the way from Australia !

The last photo is also my favourite, I especially like the saloon scene where someone has been knocked through the window, close up, the detail of the broken glass was so good.

Here are 3 more, the indian's head was approx. 12 -15 ft high, and the close up shot gives an idea of how much effort was put into the facial details and skin texture, I found the eyes very striking. The last photo also has an amazing amount of detail and intricate shapes.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
Old Jan 14, 2014, 8:50 PM   #5

Amazing work and talent. I notice the broken glass after you mentioned it. The eyes of the Indian - what a brilliant idea, creating a cavity to give that depth of color! Very well photographed too, John. My next question to you, how does the sand remain as it is for weeks? Doesn't it dry out and get blown by wind?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 5:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Amazing work and talent. I notice the broken glass after you mentioned it. The eyes of the Indian - what a brilliant idea, creating a cavity to give that depth of color! Very well photographed too, John. My next question to you, how does the sand remain as it is for weeks? Doesn't it dry out and get blown by wind?
Now that is a good question, Raghu !
According to the organisers the sand is of a special type with a good clay content that retains the moisture and strength.
When we saw them being created we noticed someone walking around and spraying the sculptures with a thin white milky liquid, I wondered if it was some sort of fixative, but we didn't dare to ask one of the artists incase they thought we were suspecting them of cheating !
Approximately 3 years ago we had a really bad summer with torrential rain and high winds, and the sculptures were damaged and some of the artists returned to do repairs.
This link might help...
http://www.sandskulptur.dk/how-to-bu...sculpture.aspx

Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:51 AM   #7

What a neat series John, thanks for sharing.

jj