Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:35 PM   #11

Guerito,
The regular Sandisk 512 card I have transfers the burst images in ~ 4 seconds. I measured it. The point was discussed at some length on the dpreview forum. It seems the 512meg card is much faster than the 256meg.
I won't bother look up the actual card model number as it seems academic at this point.

parallel
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 6:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallel
Guerito,
The regular Sandisk 512 card I have transfers the burst images in ~ 4 seconds. I measured it. The point was discussed at some length on the dpreview forum. It seems the 512meg card is much faster than the 256meg.
I won't bother look up the actual card model number as it seems academic at this point.

parallel
I made no mention of the Sandisk regular card. I was refering to the Kingston 512MB card I bought.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:20 PM   #13

Guerito,
Quote:
I made no mention of the Sandisk regular card.
Didn't say you did
My post was for general information.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallel
Guerito,

parallel
Parallel, could you check the actual card model? (please :roll: )
If the normal card is really that fast i would be best choice for me.

I thought that normal SanDisk cards were ~2mb/s Read/write and Ultra II models 10mb/s read and 9mb/s write.
(By the way how fast are Ultra I cards or has sandisk jumped straight to Ultra II)?
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 10:26 PM   #15

Shred,
On the front of the blue card is just says SanDisk 512MB SD card. On the back is has a stamped number AX0310MU China.

On the Newegg invoice it says SECURE DIGITAL SNDSK SDSDB-512-768, that is the same one they are now offering for $148.

I wonder what speed the FZ10 is capable of handling. It probably does not go up to 10MB/sec. Panasonic Bob, are you there?

parallel
Old Feb 26, 2004, 6:55 AM   #16

Thanks for your reply.
Hopefully all "normal" sandisk 512mb SD cards are that fast.
2x512mb would be a dream come true...

Now i just have to wish that German netstores sell the 512mb memorycards
equipped with a reasonable price tag. Otherwise i have to order 2x256 Ultra II cards.
(I live in Finland so ordering products from USA is expensive and many netstores don't make international shipments)

I doubt that the FZ10 is capable to use all the potential of the Ultra II memorycards,
but fast memory is not going to hurt anybody.
(External USB2 card can propably take advantage of Ultra II cards)
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:58 AM   #17

OfficeMax has the 32x Lexar High Speed 256MB SD card SD256-132-231 for $69.98 - $20 rebate = $49.98 after rebate. Specs are "capable of sustained write speed of 4.8MB/sec".

update: Note that rebate becomes effective as of 2/29

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...kOID=537030074
LynnObie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 2:09 AM   #18

I have 2 x SanDisk Ultra 256MB and happy with those. Bought from top-foto.de at price 79euro/each (also FZ-10 was bought from there). Arrived to Finland in week. Only when taking long/lot movie change comes quickly as well as lack of memory.
Kari
kari6401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 3:55 PM   #19

Hi kari6401
http://www.topfoto-online.de is propably my choice too.
They dont offer normal Sandisk 512MB SD cards so my order is going to be same as yours.
If you haven't already registered to finnish camera forum: http://www.digicamera.net do it now.
There are lots of people who are eager to hear your opinion of FZ10.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 6:07 AM   #20

OK, seems the best place to go asking this, I'm still waiting for the FZ10 to show up in UK stores, but one UK store has got a batch of PNY 512MB SD cards for 99.99. Apparently this is half the RRP for these cards, so they would normally be in the "reasonable" price/quality range.

I've been unable to confirm the speed of these exact cards, the only documentation talks about their SD card range up to 256MB, they were only 2MB/sec transfer speeds. Not brilliant, but still usable for just taking normal shots, I'm guessing.

The one thing is, I've seen hints in this thread and others that 512MB cards tend to be faster than lower sized cards, as a matter of course. Can anyone confirm this for definite, from their own experience? Also, has anyone had experience of PNY branded SD cards?
YenRug is offline   Reply With Quote