Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:53 PM   #1

Default 2x256 or 1x512 SD card for FZ10

Earlier i decided to buy FZ10 as soon as it is released in europe.
Now i am wondering if i should buy 2x256 or 1x512 SD card to accompany the camera...
Those fast SD cards are rather expensive so i have to make some kind of compromise.
(of course i'd take 2x512 if i could afford )

Question time:
How many pictures one can take until the battery deplete? (without flash)
What kind of price developement is going to take place in SD-card front?
And last, which set you wold prefer 2x256 or 1x512?

I appreciate all answers...
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 4:01 PM   #2

To chime in with my 2 cents -- I would go for the two 256mb cards. Unless you're planning on recording long videos, it shouldn't be too inconvenient (or often) to switch out the cards for still shots. Also, you have to keep in mind that some folks have had their SD cards fail -- 512mb worth of pictures is a lot to lose over 256mb.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 8:53 PM   #3

I chose the 512 meg SanDisk SD card because it was cheaper than two smaller cards, because the larger SD cards are much faster and because I didnít want to have to change the card at what might be an awkward moment. If the card doesnít fail in the warranty period it is probably good for a long time.

parallel
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:52 PM   #4

My vote is for 2 x 256 which I think is overall cheaper but more importantly, gives you the flexibility of changing out when you need to. I've used it for other purposes (transfer files from computer to computer) while keeping one in the camera. 256 seems to be the largest size before the prices really go up.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 11:05 PM   #5

Wow, we're not making it any easier for you. I always get the largest card I can afford. I enjoy shooting videos with my cameras, so the extra storage space is a must. The one advantage of having two smaller cards is that if one card becomes corrupted while you're in the field, you have a spare.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:41 AM   #6

I decided yesterday to order my FZ10 and 2 x 256 Lexar 32x high speed cards. Cost at Amazon was $76 ea vs. over $200 for Panasonic high speed 512 or regular Lexar 512. I also thought about the "safety factor" of having images split over 2 cards in case one failed but cost per mb of high speed storage was my bottom line factor. Now I have to decide about an external flash....
LynnObie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:07 AM   #7

This Sandisk 512 meg card from Newegg is $148. I didn't search for cheaper.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...171-024&depa=0
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:54 AM   #8

Thanks for your replies!

Slow 512MB card is not a bad option but i don't want that the memorycard keep me waiting if i take consicutive burst shots.
Moving pictures from a slow card to computer is allso going to take some time if compared to fast SD card (presume that you use USB2 card reader for transferring pictures.)

At the moment the fast 256MB SD card seems to be a good bargain so i think that i'll buy 2x 256MB Sandisk UltraII cards.
Buying two separate memorycards makes sense as i am going to buy spare battery as well,
then i can use the camera as one memorycard per battery principle.
As far as i think the FZ10 doesn't offer that good video capabilities that it would justify the purchase of bigger card.

Currently the fast 512MB memorycards offer quite bad $ or Ä/MB ratio.
I assume that the fast 512MB card prizes are going to drop in future so i can allways buy bigger card(s) later.
(Last time i cheked the 512MB sandisk UltraII prize was triple compared to 256MB version...)

Ps.
For datatransfer purposes i have a 16MB MMC card that was left over as i bought a 128MB MMC card for my mobile phone.
(Recording long videos or taking lots of pictures with mobile phone consume quite a lot of space even as the quality is all but good)
Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:08 PM   #9

I made the mistake of buying a Kingston 2MB/sec card and I still regret it. Since I no longer use it, it was a waste of money. It's well worth the extra money to get the fast SD cards. With my 512MB Sandisk Ultra II, I can record 5 images in better quality, or 7 images in lower quality in 2.0 seconds flat. With the Kingston I was waiting 12 seconds.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:51 PM   #10

As bad as my memory is, 2 X 256 cards do it for me. I keep one in the camera and one in the bag. If I forget to remove one card from the card reader (as in "left it at home"), I still have one in my camera bag.
Bierbaum is offline   Reply With Quote