Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 28, 2014, 1:00 AM   #1

Default Fz18,Fz70,hands on.

Ok. Here goes.

Background:
Started digital with FZ18 back when it was new, whenever that was from Costco. Have enjoyed using it. Easy to use but enough extras to get my feet wet. As stated in my intro page my daughter has used it since she was 3 and is quite good with it. Mostly of our dog Ketchup and toys and dolls.

Got the Fuji HS50EXR from Costco. Did a lot a research and was excited to try the manual zoom. What a bummer. Took it back with in days. The zoom felt like they forgot parts or to lube the bearings. It was no where near smooth or good for video. The vid codec was not working on my lap top.My fingers where near the mics and could easily be heard trying to crank that sucker to zoom. The pics out of the box where garbage even in the easy mode. I new enough from my FZ18 to play with the settings. No Go

Upgraded to the FZ70 for multiple reasons. In no particular order.
1 wanted better video and to be able to zoom video.
2 better resolution pics. have since learned that all SuperZ's are small sensors.
3 because I wanted to. Actually when we new there was possibly a second kid was on the way I joked with my wife that I wanted a better cam to keep up with the two. When we found out it was twins the deal was set.
4 Was really looking into the 4/3 market. Not wanting the Big DSLR and big lens. Decide 3 kids, kids stuff and a P&S was all I needed for the Zoo.
5 the video is motion JPeg wraped in a MOV file. Not easy to edit or convert and not compatible with my Network hard drive sending files to my TV
6 wanted faster burst. Yes I'm a Spray and pray. Kinda have to with a P&S super Z. I've got good a getting the shot this way.

7 some other reasons I can't remember

FZ70 impressions: bought at Costco also. 90day return. got about 40 days to go

I like the size. I'm a big guy with basketball hands. Fits me well.

Lot's of options. Fun

Menu's works for me. Have seen other manufactures menus and they feel cluttered but that's mostly a get use to it thing.

Movies look good to me even if it's only 1080i. I use MPG4 1080 and looks good on my Plasma. And works great on my laptop. Not trying to go to Hollywood with this cam.

Zoom is cool. Don't really need that much but if it's there why not. I have been surprised by the hand held full zoom I have got with pics and vid. If I was to use a Tripod should be even better.Again when Spielburg calls I'll upgrade.

I like the programable FN buttons and the Hot shoe.

Dislikes:
No Hood. Come on. How much could it cost to throw in a hood?

I think the ELV is smaller than my FZ18.

ELV and LCD res are low. Better than the 18 but bad compared to the rivals.

Burst modes are a bit misleading as has been stated in many reviews. I've found the 2burst mode works best. I may not be getting every second but in 2burst I can keep pulling the trigger and keep going. other modes buffer out.

Now here come my real question. On the FZ18 in shutter mode no matter what I have it set for,..IE wrong or wright setting, what I see on the screen is what I get a pic of. On the FZ70 it's not so. If i'm within the optimal settings I get what I see but out side of that, nope. For example
if I'm showing a slightly dark preview the actual pic will be complete black. Adjusting exposer comp does nothing. This reaaaaaaaly bugs me. To me Shutter priority is useless. I want WISIWIG. I'm I wrong and of base?

Sorry for the long post. Have to get it out when I can.
I will post some pics and video(if I can on this site) when I get a chance.
My real reason for posting is to see if I should keep the FZ70 or fork out more for the FZ200 or the Finepix SL1000. I make that post and my specific question in another thread.

Than you
ChasingBabiesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2014, 9:59 AM   #2

Hello Dad,
Welcome to the Forum. Glad you do so much testing before committing. If everybody does, manufacturers would be on toes.
Coming to your question on EV, I have recently got my hands on a FZ200, and I experience the same problem - but only when I point the focus in low light. In good light, or if I point, for example, to a bright area such as the computer screen or TV even in low light, the picture is the same as what you get to preview on the screen. But if the focus is on a low-lit area, the preview as shown in the screen is not achieved. In fact, in some cases, it just showed the opposite! (that is, if I found an area dark and wanted to compensate by increasing the EV steps, the resultant picture, instead of getting brighter, was actually darker than when shot in the normal setting).
Hence, my feel is FZ70 or FZ200 may not get you WYSIWYG in low light EV manipulation. I suggest that you test FZ70 in open doors or day light and then decide.
You can also seek an expert opinion from Carol, who has actually tested the FZ70. Hope she is getting better after her injury and would be in a position to sit on the computer at least for a while every day.

Last edited by Raghu; Jan 28, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:29 PM   #3

Hello Raghu
Your experience was exactly what I was looking for. That has been my same experience out doors or in doors. I read, but can't find the review, that said something to the effect that the lens is not, or is, aperture priority and the LCD is reading it's light source from other the lens.
Have played with other cams at the big box stores since that seems to be the only places left to get my hands on multiple cams. Have seen some, again can't remember which ones, that have this prob and some that don't.
Just kind of blown away that my old FZ18 doesn't have this prob but the new FZ70 does.

In thinking of switching over to the FZ200 this is one of my main questions.
Have a few more but don't know if they should be posted in another thread. I'll throw them out here and if they get moved,ok.

Since they are they same sized sensor should I expect the same IQ knowing that the lens in quite different?

Are they basically the same feel and layout. Size and button?

Because of the constant 2.8 on the FZ200. How does that effect DOF?
Just diving into exactly what DOF is and how it works but I thought is was good to have a choice of small/big aperture for different effects/sharpness?

As for Carol. Her posts are why I joined this group. Didn't know she was injured. Look forward to hearing she's getting better and then how she's liking the FZ70
ChasingBabiesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2014, 1:43 AM   #4

Going by the images, I see that the layout is almost the same, but the buttons are not an exact match, but that is not very difficult to get adjusted to - you can get used to it in a short time.
Constant 2.8 gives you better low light performance (or brighter pictures, in other words). Since better DoF is achieved at smaller apertures, this is of not much importance if you want a 'deep' DoF (i.e. more distance to remain in focus).
Old Jan 29, 2014, 5:08 AM   #5

I think your isue with shutter priority might be that your chosen parameters are outside of what's required for a captured image(hence the dark shots)- even though the LCD is "gaining up" so at least you can see for compositional purposes.
Maybe utilise "auto iso" when using shutter priority- exposure comp will do nothing if your shutter speed is to high for the given conditions and the sensitivity chosen.

With regards sensor size- yes,most superzooms use the same size- or very close to- but as you've already found out,not all are equal..!
The sensor(and its resolution),its processor and the quality of lens used all contribute to the final image.
Here's an examle of such differences....
http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Pa...solution.shtml
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2014, 11:33 AM   #6

I spent some time exploring the options today, and found that by default, in the P mode, the camera is set to a minimum shutter speed of 1/4 seconds, and this is limiting the EV compensation. If you set up the min shutter speed to the highest available value of 1 second, the preview screen at half-press responds beautifully, even in low light, giving you an exact preview within the limits.

That said, THERE IS, however, still a technical snag or 'disconnect' - if you continue to operate the EV compensation beyond the respective limits in each mode (P, A and S), you can see the screen dimming or brightening, but the SS/A value remaining unchanged, because either the maximum aperture of 2.8 or minimum shutter speed of 1 second has been reached. Correspondingly, when you half-press the shutter release, you can note that the preview only shows what you are going to get, irrespective of the change in brightness observed while altering the compensation. In other words, the screen is dynamic, even a little pepped-up I would say, and responds to your manipulations whether these will get carried out or not, BUT the preview (when half-depressed) is always true to the picture you will get when you click.

When the values do not change beyond the prescribed limits, there is no other way than going to the M mode, which gives you the freedom to change aperture and shutter speed to your liking, and the EV display shows whether your setting is right, less or more as judged by the camera. You cannot play with EV compensation in M mode.

Just think how useful it would be if the camera warns when these limits are breached. I think Pana have done a wonderful job designing the camera and programs, but only their manual sucks, leaving the hard part of understanding the camera, by trial and error, to us.

Therefore, before giving up on the camera, I strongly suggest you test it once again, changing the min shutter speed.

Last edited by Raghu; Jan 31, 2014 at 12:31 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote