Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:56 PM   #1

Default At The Seaside in February, Brrrrr ! (FZ150)

All done in IA mode on a cool but sunny afternoon.
"I've got my beady eye on you !"

"Follow the food"

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2014, 3:55 PM   #2

A good series of shots Jhon, but I suggest you do not use AI mode, better A or P, and a slight underexposure type -1/3 or -2/3 when the light is so bright. You'll see that you can get better pictures and better manage the white and lights.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 5:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalex54 View Post
A good series of shots Jhon, but I suggest you do not use AI mode, better A or P, and a slight underexposure type -1/3 or -2/3 when the light is so bright. You'll see that you can get better pictures and better manage the white and lights.
Thank you for the kind remarks and advice Alex, much appreciated.
I remarked that the photos were taken in IA mode because I don't usually use it, preferring to use P mode and occasionally A mode if I want to have control over the depth of field the depth of field. In these modes I can have full control over the camera settings ie. ISO (which I try to keep at 100), photo style etc.
However, recently I have been experiencing a high degree of noise (or something) when I am using from 50% to 100% optical zoom in P & A mode, I have spent quite a bit of time experimenting with the noise reduction, sharpening, IResolution, IDynamic etc trying to reduce the mottled effect that I have been getting. I don't seem to get it with IA mode, even with higher ISO values.
Of course in IA mode I do not get a warning of any highlights, but am still able to increase or decrease exposure.
I am beginning to wonder if there is some error with the camera...or ME

BTW Do you ever use IDynamic or IResolution ?

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
Old Feb 14, 2014, 12:03 PM   #4

Interestingly, regarding highlight maintainance- I find iA to be superb- even if the bright parts of the image take up a small part of the image only...!

Take this image below- shot in iA.
Note the white areas on the back of the tractor and how detail is still there- and the sun was bouncing off this area.
I took the same shot in RAW- and I couldn't get anything like the detail back shown in iA and was over-exposed..!
So- thumbs up from me for the Panny' jpeg processor..!
Other than for moving targets- it's iA all the way for me..!
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Interestingly, regarding highlight maintainance- I find iA to be superb- even if the bright parts of the image take up a small part of the image only...!

Take this image below- shot in iA.
Note the white areas on the back of the tractor and how detail is still there- and the sun was bouncing off this area.
I took the same shot in RAW- and I couldn't get anything like the detail back shown in iA and was over-exposed..!
So- thumbs up from me for the Panny' jpeg processor..!
Other than for moving targets- it's iA all the way for me..!
Thanks Simon, a very interesting observation you have noted. The detail is certainly fine in your photo. I shall have to experiment further with IA mode.
Moving targets are not my strong point, I don't seem to have mastered the technic yet

I apologise for the very long time in replying to your post, as we have been without an internet connection for some weeks.