Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 3, 2014, 1:21 PM   #1

Default Lens hood on Lumix DMC-FZ18

Hi, so far I've been able to get relatively decent shots with a Lumix DMC-FZ18 I recently purchased. The zoom is nice, even though it takes a bit of getting used to. Wide angle I haven't figured out yet, but set the zoom to the top 1X position so things were the right shape. If less than that is "wide angle", then it sucks.

The EV settings side of things works okay and a new Hoya polarizing filter (46mm) makes images a bit clearer.

I was wondering about a lens hood (one did not come with the unit). There seem to be a lot of different types. Panasonic's own one for that camera look like it's huge. Do I have to use VYQ4122 or VYQ4123 with it? Or are there alternatives (one shot I just used my hand).

Years ago on a 35mm Nikon I had a rubber one that would pop out if needed and didn't take up much room. The new ones are a lot difference in appearance, but I don't know if they are any good.

Thoughts please ......

Thanks - Ted
Tedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2014, 3:50 PM   #2

If I remember correctly, the FZ-18 lens barrel recedes into the outer tube/body- thus,any hood will be attached to the body- and I think in the case of the FZ-18- via an adapter.
The adapter required (assuming you're using a Panasonic hood...) is the VYQ4124.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:16 AM   #3

http://www.digitaltoyshop.co.uk/LENS...Z18_t1192_4841

If you need a lens adapter i think i have one you are welcome to (same one as FZ-38 i think)
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:16 AM   #4

There are threads on the inside of the outer barrel body bit, so it looks like the adaptor screws on there. From what I gather the hood has a side screw - looks a bit iffy - 'd have to be careful to not tighten too much

From what I see on the link the hood comes with an adapter. I guess that site's okay. Usually use Amazon for bits and pieces. Once I have the correct part numbers should be able to find one. Locally, the camera shop is so high priced on stuff that I rarely buy anything from them.

I've heard of vignetting happening on some, I assume the genuine Panasonic ones that shouldn't happen.

Oh yeah - like the leopard shot Darren.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 6:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedh View Post
There are threads on the inside of the outer barrel body bit, so it looks like the adaptor screws on there. From what I gather the hood has a side screw - looks a bit iffy - 'd have to be careful to not tighten too much

From what I see on the link the hood comes with an adapter. I guess that site's okay. Usually use Amazon for bits and pieces. Once I have the correct part numbers should be able to find one. Locally, the camera shop is so high priced on stuff that I rarely buy anything from them.

I've heard of vignetting happening on some, I assume the genuine Panasonic ones that shouldn't happen.

Oh yeah - like the leopard shot Darren.
Thanks Yes the adaptor screws into the barrell then there is a plastic ring that screws into the adaptor to fix the hood to (same as the FZ38 i had)
The adaptor is no good to me now (Polaroid one) if you want it you can have it
The plastic ring should've come with the camera
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
The adaptor is no good to me now (Polaroid one) if you want it you can have it
Yeah Okay, thanks a lot, PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
The plastic ring should've come with the camera
I got the camera as used and hardly any bits. I guess a ring should be easy enuf to find.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 9:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedh View Post
Yeah Okay, thanks a lot, PM me.

I got the camera as used and hardly any bits. I guess a ring should be easy enuf to find.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adapter-Tu...item19e2c80dd9

Last edited by Forzahibs; Apr 4, 2014 at 9:08 AM.
Forzahibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2014, 12:47 PM   #8

I don't use Ebay, but do use Amazon.

I travel write and do so with a backpack (ultralite), 70% of my weight is my travel writing gear and camera (now about 7lbs). Not much room. I had to build the inside of my camera bag myself. After checking the depth of the new type hoods (shoulda done that before all this - sorry guys) - it just ain't gonna fit, but a collapsible rubber one will.

Just spent hours looking around, B&W make one that will work. I didn't know they even still made these things. This is all a learning process to me. I was used to film and had several SLR cameras (including one with a Leitz lens). Digital is a whole new concept and to be honest I find it a lot more fussy than 35mm film. Still getting used to it..... I was using a basic little digicam that has great color, but only did straight forward stuff. Now I've gotten back into it all (after a couple of decades), I want to do a bit more serious stuff while on the road.