Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 27, 2014, 2:41 PM   #1

Default Tz30 broken

Hi, has anyone else had a problem with the system error zoom on the TZ30? Is this a common fault?
Mine was hardly used and the zoom will no longer work. I can switch the camera on but I get the system error message and the camera won't function so cannot take photos as the lens will not open.

I won't buy another travel zoom as this is the second one with the same fault. Thinking of going for a DSLR as I still have my FZ38 so no point in buying another bridge - do you agree?
I have now finished my degree so now have the time to go out and take photos.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2014, 5:30 PM   #2

G'day Eysha

Oh - my old friend - you seem to have hit a rough spot in the road ... bugga

Maybe have a sqwiz at the Panny G6 with the 10x zoom lens combo
http://www.dpreview.com/products/pan...anasonic_dmcg6

It's a relatively small camera body, not big & heavy like some [most?] APS-sized SLRs, and the 10x lens gives very good optical performance as well

The G6 follows on from other "G" models with lots of features - all easy to alter via the Qwik-Menu button &/or the rolly-wheel just near the shutter button

I have the G2 + 10x lens combo and find it very good - nice & easy to walk around with and having custom set a number of things to my liking, it is a very nice walk-around package

Hope this helps a bit
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 10:20 AM   #3

Phil this is the camera that was suggested -
Panasonic G3 16MP Compact System Camera with 14-42mm Lens,was 279.98 now 219.99 But, and isn't there always a but somewhere - I understand the lens' for this camera are quite expensive.
Looks like the shop I bought the TZ30 from isn't going to do anything about a repair so looks like I have lost that camera. I also believe it is costly to repair, over 100 GBP so prob not worth it but it is only 16 months old and not used much so it is annoying.
Not sure whether to just keep the FZ38 only and learn to really use it better as I am now finished my degree. I have had such a rotten year with my mother dying very recently etc but won't depress you with all of that, however, I was looking forward to getting back into photography proper now that I am free and wondered about upgrading but not to heavy DSLR cameras and lenses.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:43 PM   #4

G'day Eysha

I am presuming that the G3 you are mentioning is a 'pre-loved' camera as Panny are now up to a G6 for general sale. There is nothing wrong with pre-loved [if this is the case] as I am disposing of several of my 3-4yr old cameras at the moment too. They're perfectly okay cameras - just a few years old

My photographic concern is that the 14-42mm is 'only' a 3x zoom [just like the dSLR 18-55mm kit lens] and after being used to a camera with a real-good zoom, the 3x zoom is pretty weak

Any extra zoom lens - be it for canon / nikon / panny etc will cost you a few quid, as these lenses are better quality that the 20-quid kit lenses that come with the camera plus 2 lenses packge from Boots the chemist etc etc

The Panny 14-140 lens will probably cost about 350 quid ~ if you go looking for one, remember that there are 2 models: the older f4,0 version and the newer f3,5 version ... it will cost about 450 quid

Hope this helps a bit
Phil
Old Apr 28, 2014, 5:08 PM   #5

Thanks Phil, that was a new camera not pre-loved and as it is so old, which I didn't know, I can now understand the price - its old so they are trying to get rid of them.
Lens' are expensive I agree. Maybe I will let this one pass.

Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:55 PM   #6

Sorry to hear of the TZ giving up...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2014, 5:24 PM   #7

G'day Eysha

Looking up DP Review
http://www.dpreview.com/products/com...anasonic_dmcg6

I see that:-
  • The G3 was released in mid 2011 & the G6 in mid 2013 > ie the G3 is not that old
  • most of the settings are the same [like motor cars - new model with new headlights but same engine]
  • the G6 has heaps more movie settings [do you need them?]
  • the G6 goes to a higher ISO level [do you need very high ISO?]
and
  • the G6 does 7fps on burst, against the G3's 4fps
If you need this higher performance, then go for a G6 - else I'd suggest a 'real-good' look at the G3

It might be that if you can get the G3 at around half-price for a G6, then the 14-140 lens might be a more affordable package

Phil
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:09 AM   #8

I still have my FZ38 too. Would not part with it for anything. Its the one camera that has never let me down or given anything but excellent results when I travel!
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014, 1:52 PM   #9

I agree dbnnet, it does give good photos and no trouble either.