Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 13, 2014, 2:00 PM   #1

Default Snapper

Old May 13, 2014, 2:48 PM   #2
Administrator

I spend too much time with computers. I use a tool called snapper with Linux distros. It's designed to take "snapshots" of the brtfs file system.

That way, you can easily "roll back" a current system to an earlier version, with no down time needed, with the snapshots taking virtually no disk space (except for what changed).

Btrfs is a newer generation file system with loads of features you don't have with older generation file systems like NTFS, ext4, etc.

Here's a wikipedia page about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs

Here's a very good article on why a file system like Btrfs is a good idea for use by photographers (since newer generation file systems like it are designed to detect and correct "bit rot", where even one "flipped" bit can cause things like image corruption.

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...n-filesystems/

I'm currently using btrfs with snapper installed in multiple Operating System installations on more than one computer (including a netbook running MX-14 with a Debian Stable base, and my desktop running OpenSUSE 13.1); with snapper installed in both Operating Systems. I'm getting ready to setup an external storage system using btrfs, too.

I also got my wife a new Laptop with Windows 8.1 preinstalled, and I'm going to install Linux on it using a btrfs file system with snapper running, too. That way, I can easily revert the file system to an earlier state if needed (due to update issues, user error, etc.) with virtually no extra disk space used for the snapshots.

Frankly, since she's not very "computer literate", I don't even want to think about her trying to use a laptop with Windows 8.1, as it's just too much trouble to maintain (given problems with updates, malware issues, etc.), and I'd spend far too much of my time keeping it running OK for her compared to using Linux on it. So, I'm not even going to include Windows 8.1 in the boot menu after I finish setting it up (it just arrived last week), just to make sure she doesn't accidentally use it for anything.

Ever since I switched her to using Linux instead of Windows some years back, I've had dramatically less support issues keeping her computer working great, and linux does everything she needs (VLC for Media Playback; browsers like Firefox, Chrome and Opera for Internet Browsing; Skype for Video Calls with friends and family members; various tools for browsing images; LibreOffice for docs and spreadsheets; etc. But, that's another topic.

Anyway, Snapper is a great utility if you want to install a newer generation file system like Btrfs in a newer Linux distro that supports it. More about snapper here:

http://snapper.io/

So, when I saw the thread title (Snapper), the snapper utility for creating snapshots with btrfs file systems was the first thing that came to mind (not the fish named snapper, turtle, etc).

Again, I must spend too much time with computers.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 3:07 PM   #3

That is the longest comment I have ever gotten on a shot.
Old May 13, 2014, 3:18 PM   #4
Administrator

Sorry about that. I've been spending time configuring Snapper (the file system utility for taking snapshots) on more than one computer lately and your thread title got my attention.

I wasn't even thinking of a fish or turtle called a snapper when I saw it. Again, I must spend too much of time time around computer related stuff.

It was a bit too off topic, so I'll be glad to remove it if you want me to.

That is an interesting shot, and I can't help but wonder how you got it (as it looks to have been taken looking almost straight down).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 3:23 PM   #5

NICE! There... very succinct, eh?
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2014, 4:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
NICE! There... very succinct, eh?
Thanks Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
It was a bit too off topic, so I'll be glad to remove it if you want me to.
No it's fine.

People can take a look at the shot and learn something at the same time.
Old May 13, 2014, 6:04 PM   #7

Cool shot. He/she has character...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2014, 11:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Cool shot. He/she has character...!
Thanks Simon I was down on the Outer Banks of North Carolina last week. Taken at the Pea Island National Wildlife Refuge.