Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 17, 2014, 7:09 AM   #21

@ ozzie - thank you for the detailed info. However jj is right as the fz35/38 definately has image stabilisation (From CNet Review):-

Quote:
Like the Lumix DMC-ZX1 , DMC-FX60 and DMC-FP8 compacts also launched today, the FZ38 boasts Panny's next-generation image-stabilisation system, Power OIS. This is extra important on a superzoom, as camera shake causes more obvious blur the more you zoom in.
The only reason I chose RAW, is because I could really manipulate the images, whereas jpeg with it's compression, limits you with the changes you can make. I've seen your albums and the photos are just gorgeous! What camera did you use to take them and do you have any photos taken with a FZ35/38?

@ jachol - Thank you for the link. I'm actually happy using Corel PSP x5 as it's easy to use, yet very advanced and much more powerful than paint.net

Guys what I need is your opinions on the photos I've posted (I'll keep adding more as I get time!). Thanks to you guys, I now really understand how to do the bokeh/DOF effect. So now I want to know what else I can do to make the photo look vibrant and rich in colours and how can I know how to take the correct shots, so it doesn't look amateurish.
FZ38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2014, 6:02 PM   #22

Thanks Billy [& jj]

.. for the IS update

Billy - none of the images as displayed on my Flickr library are RAW images with pp ... I always use JPG. I shoot to get the image >95% okay and use pp [if needed] to get to 100%

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2014, 6:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ38 View Post
@ ozzie - thank you for the detailed info. ..... and do you have any photos taken with a FZ35/38?...
Billy - I have loaded a dozen or so FZ35 images for you to sqwiz at

They are in an album called "Test images &/or images under discussion with others"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_...7630287669592/

I have annotated each with the zoom & exposure settings for you

All these images were shot as JPGs and few have received pp editing as they just don't need any coz the camera has done such a good job
This is one of the main reasons I don't shoot RAW - the other being that I don't have the time or patience to spend hours & hours in front of the computer mucking around when I don't need to

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2014, 1:54 PM   #24

Thank you very much for the link to your collection. I've just got to say that for me they are just mind-blowing. I don't think I can take shots as good as yours, although on your advice, I have switched back to JPG.

So far, I have learnt to do decent bokeh shots and have tried to manipulate the settings to play about with shutter settings, although I can't match your quality and style.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:09 AM   #25

Quote:
Thank you very much for the link to your collection. I've just got to say that for me they are just mind-blowing. I don't think I can take shots as good as yours, although on your advice, I have switched back to JPG.

So far, I have learnt to do decent bokeh shots and have tried to manipulate the settings to play about with shutter settings, although I can't match your quality and style.
Give it time be patient, experiment with settings and modes of operation, just learn as you go,there's no instant success. Recognise the fact that not all your shots will ever be perfect.

To qualify what I'm saying ... I shoot with a DSLR mainly, and personal preference is to shoot in aperture priority mode probably 80% of the time.

One of my main interests is macro work, and if I get a 30% success rate I reckon I'm doing well. (at least with digital, such a loss doesn't matter)

As you gain experience, you'll find you have more and more keepers. ... Jack.

Last edited by jachol; May 19, 2014 at 4:26 AM. Reason: Typo
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 5:34 AM   #26

Thank you for the kind words of support jachol. What advise can you or anyone else on this forum give me for taking shots for large groups of people, in order to create a wow effect?
Old May 19, 2014, 6:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words of support jachol. What advise can you or anyone else on this forum give me for taking shots for large groups of people, in order to create a wow effect?
Hi Billy,

This is best answered by someone who owns and has had long experience with the FZ35/38, personally I've no experience of super zoom P&S models.

From a DSLR view I'd be using a wide angle lens (Zoom or fixed focus) for crowd scenes so as to encompass the full scene without having to back off too much.

A wide angle lens also has a large DOF, which solves focus problems for a large group.

Not sure just what WOW effect you want in crowd scenes. In PP you can boost contrast a little in curves, or boost colour saturation a little too, but sublety is the order of the day, you can

soon make a pigs ear of things by overdoing it. A lot depends on how your camera handles a particular light situation.

I hope someone with knowledge of your camera will add their comments.

... Jack.

Edit:- Lookin at the sample photos in Steves review, I'd say straight from the camera is very good. Shouldn't need much PP. ... J.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/camer...photos-53.html

Last edited by jachol; May 19, 2014 at 6:51 AM. Reason: Add info
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 3:34 PM   #28

Your right jachol...Does jjdog have a FZ35/38?

Regarding the WOW factor...I've understood now how to make a photo more vibrant/colourful using PP, but I want to learn for example how to get people to pose correctly to get the correct shots or if it's nature, how to create that dramatic effect of a sunset/sunrise etc