Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:35 PM   #1

Default Fz150 + lc55

I have finally had time to try out and experiment with the LC55 close up lens on my FZ150, and amongst other things have discovered that bees are not an easy prey, even the bumbling sort

Any hints on getting good sharp macro shots of insects etc., would be appreciated. Tommorow I will try shutter priority mode and higher shutter speeds. I think I also need to have a deeper depth of field to capture sharper images of bees in flight, I got many shots that were out of focus as the bees rapidly departed the flowers I was concentrating on !

"Enroute"

"Destination in sight"

"Touchdown imminent"

"Campanula"

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)

Last edited by John J; Jun 11, 2014 at 8:41 PM. Reason: Title slightly wrong
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:38 PM   #2

G'day John

Glad to see your results & you're finding 'them there beez' are pretty tricky critters to grab a good image of ...

You ask for suggestions -

1- use in-camera flash ... this will get you an effective shutter speed of well over 1/1000s
2- set iso to 200 or 400 so that flash will be well picked up and also gives a good aperture for depth of field
3- if AF can't keep up with the bees movements to & fro, try MF and prefocus onto the flower and go from there

Hope this helps a bit
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 9:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day John

Glad to see your results & you're finding 'them there beez' are pretty tricky critters to grab a good image of ...

You ask for suggestions -

1- use in-camera flash ... this will get you an effective shutter speed of well over 1/1000s
2- set iso to 200 or 400 so that flash will be well picked up and also gives a good aperture for depth of field
3- if AF can't keep up with the bees movements to & fro, try MF and prefocus onto the flower and go from there

Hope this helps a bit

Phil
Thank you so much for the very useful advise Phil - "why didn't I think of using the flash, duh !"

I think that I had the camera set at max iso 500, when I took the above pics yesterday. I was using continuous shutter bursts, that way I could hopefully capture bees in flight which was my goal, so I guess the flash tip would not work in that mode, but great for capturing a settled bee. There was a little noise visible when viewed at 100% which I removed using Topaz DeNoise in PSP X5.

Today I tried at f7.1 / 6.3 and an iso of 1600 in aperture priority mode and managed to get shutter speeds from 1/1300s to 1/2000s. In a few pics I noticed that the depth of field had increased a bit so a few more bees were better in focus as they approached the flower. I expected the pics to be extremely noisy but too be honest I couldn't see much difference in noise compared with yesterdays pics.

Here is a couple of the more succesful pics after cropping and noise removal. Too be honest I don't see much difference compared to yesterday's pics, ok I guess, but not stunningly sharp. Tomorrow I will try your flash suggestion on some busy settled bees !

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:48 AM   #4

In addition to Phil's valuable tips, I would suggest choose a bright day, pre-focus and use burst mode (flash won't work in burst mode). If you don't have a steady hand, use something like a monopod, so you can vary the distance at ease. Capturing sharp images of flying insects can be a tiresome job, but worth pursuing. Best of luck!
Old Jun 19, 2014, 6:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
In addition to Phil's valuable tips, I would suggest choose a bright day, pre-focus and use burst mode (flash won't work in burst mode). If you don't have a steady hand, use something like a monopod, so you can vary the distance at ease. Capturing sharp images of flying insects can be a tiresome job, but worth pursuing. Best of luck!
Thank you Raghu. I will have to keep trying. Flash won't work with LC55 attached either !

I was shooting on bright sunny days, and using burst mode, it was the only way I could any bees, by trying to anticipate their next move and fire off a series of burst shots, hoping that the bees would cooperate, thus I have a huge number of shots of flowers, petals etc and one or two bees... oh well, I just gotta keep trying.

Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
Flash won't work with LC55 attached either !
Are you sure? I see no reason for that. Some times, I have felt the necessity for flash even for close up shots, perhaps set at its lowest brightness.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 5:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Are you sure? I see no reason for that. Some times, I have felt the necessity for flash even for close up shots, perhaps set at its lowest brightness.
It doesn't work on my FZ150 when it's the conversion setting is set for the LC55.

Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:01 PM   #8

G'day John

Lots of stuff here mate ...
In camera-normal mode, the flash will not work when you also have the camera set to 'burst'
However, if you go into SCN and select burst-flash it will fire the flash at lo-power while also shooting at 5 images over 2-seconds

For 'normal' daylight flash stuff, you can certainly do flash work with the LC55 in action ... set the flash to 'on' [not auto]; use the +/- button to modify the flash brightness to [maybe] -1EV. Maybe if you're too close to things, there might be a shadow from the lens-adapter onto the subject ~ but I suspect that this is not the issue here

-if- you find the auto focus is not fast enough for these flighty-little-critters, maybe do a pre-focus on a bush, then swap from AF to MF ... then all you need to do is aim at the bee and rock to & fro until the image is in focus before pressing the button

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2014, 6:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day John

Lots of stuff here mate ...
In camera-normal mode, the flash will not work when you also have the camera set to 'burst'
However, if you go into SCN and select burst-flash it will fire the flash at lo-power while also shooting at 5 images over 2-seconds

For 'normal' daylight flash stuff, you can certainly do flash work with the LC55 in action ... set the flash to 'on' [not auto]; use the +/- button to modify the flash brightness to [maybe] -1EV. Maybe if you're too close to things, there might be a shadow from the lens-adapter onto the subject ~ but I suspect that this is not the issue here

-if- you find the auto focus is not fast enough for these flighty-little-critters, maybe do a pre-focus on a bush, then swap from AF to MF ... then all you need to do is aim at the bee and rock to & fro until the image is in focus before pressing the button

Hope this helps
Phil
Yes Phil , I'm sure your advice will help. I hadn't given "burst flash" a thought, as I hardly ever use the scene mode...only for panoramas and occasionally sunsets. There are so many settings to consider, but it is fun experimenting
Thank you so much.