Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 9, 2014, 9:39 AM   #11

Fair enough Eysha. There are just no "Magical" settings for the FZ35.
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:34 AM   #12

Again, I will reiterate - the two variables that are most likely degrading your image quality are:
1) the window pane(s) you are shooting through
2) the cropping you are doing.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 10:52 AM   #13
csa

" perhaps it's better not to ask for help but just show great photos - I can try."

I would hope that you will continue to ask for help; not everyone can show great photos without some advice.

Are you by chance going beyond the regular zoom, say into the EZ zoom?
Also, have you simply tried the "P" mode and let the camera do the settings? (I'm assuming the FZ38 has the "P" mode, as I have the FZ40.

Rainy weather thru glass will not give ultimate results, but keep trying & please keep posting & asking for further advice!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2014, 11:16 AM   #14

Thanks John, when I find it I will post a photo of the local area I took out of a moving train window on my way home from York, it was good and taken with the same camera so I didn't see problem with the window as it is kept really clean and free from dirt before I shoot.
I agree about the crop possibility though.
CSA, no I never use the EZ zoom as I know it isn't advisable. I will try the P mode as it is on the FZ38. I was using the sports and Apature settings.
Thanks CSA. Will go look for that through a train window shot to post.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:48 PM   #15

I'm no expert but here's my tuppence worth . If its a likely to move (animal , child) i use shutter priority , if need be up the iso but shoot at maybe 1/640 or higher . My view is that the auto modes only know about the light rather than possible movement
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:15 PM   #16
csa

" My view is that the auto modes only know about the light rather than possible movement"

I almost always use the "P" mode on my FZ's. Here's one, long zoom handheld, cropped.
Attached Images

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 1:36 PM   #17

Thanks for the replies.
Forzahibs, will give the speed a try, so far I have tried sports, auto, A and P modes. I msut be doing something wrong I guess but not sure what, I am using center weighted too and have tried spot too.
Thanks CSA, I have tried that too so what am I doing wrong? what other settings are you using? I cannot say it is the window given my other thread - taken through a train window - those two photos are pretty good I thought given the train was going at speed. Would like to crack this to add to my knowledge.
Hubby recons the distance is about 26 feet from window to bird feeder if that helps.
More suggestions welcome.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
" My view is that the auto modes only know about the light rather than possible movement"

I almost always use the "P" mode on my FZ's. Here's one, long zoom handheld, cropped.
Nice , i'm thinking more of auto , in P mode you can still adjust the shutter speed similar to shutter priority ?
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks for the replies.
Forzahibs, will give the speed a try, so far I have tried sports, auto, A and P modes. I msut be doing something wrong I guess but not sure what, I am using center weighted too and have tried spot too.
Thanks CSA, I have tried that too so what am I doing wrong? what other settings are you using? I cannot say it is the window given my other thread - taken through a train window - those two photos are pretty good I thought given the train was going at speed. Would like to crack this to add to my knowledge.
Hubby recons the distance is about 26 feet from window to bird feeder if that helps.
More suggestions welcome.
I'd use shutter priority , fast as possible shutter speed (higher iso in necessary) with continuous autofocus . I've never tried sports etc , not being clever and i'm not very good but read a lot to try to improve
Old Jul 10, 2014, 3:42 PM   #20

Shutter priority . f5.9 1/1000 sec iso 250 215mm