Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:56 AM   #1

Default Mountain rail - toy train

The train journey from Mettupalayam to Ooty, though time consuming, is an enjoyable one. Just a little faster than running speed, the rail winds through picturesque hill terrain. I would have liked a long shot of the train, but as I was in travelling, I couldn't achieve that. A few photos:

Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2014, 7:34 PM   #2

Not many can capture in a series of shots what a trip like this was like, you did.

Enjoyed viewing and thanks for the ride.

jj
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:49 PM   #3

Thank you so much for sharing Raghu, narrow gauge steam railways is one of my hobbies.
I recently saw a documentary about that very railway, really interesting, especially as it also showed some the personal side of a few of the railways employees daily life. One of the conductors was very proud of his job and the railway and very dedicated, something becoming quite rare these days !

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:22 PM   #4

Thanks for looking and for the compliments, Jim and John. This railway is certainly worth preparing a documentary on, and I am glad someone did as narrated by John.
Raghu
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Thanks for looking and for the compliments, Jim and John. This railway is certainly worth preparing a documentary on, and I am glad someone did as narrated by John.
Raghu
It is a BBC documentary and if anyone is interested it is on Youtube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSdq6oRcjyc

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:16 PM   #6

Thanks so much John for the link. I enjoyed viewing the documentary, made more interesting with memories of my recent visit still fresh in the mind. To photograph the entire train in its full beauty, we need to stay a few days there, identify and choose vantage locations from where you can have a good view and then wait patiently because there are only two services in a day now. Moreover, the steam engine runs only up to Coonoor, where the engine is detached and a diesel locomotive takes over from there.

I know of another such train running in the Darjeeling area, but I haven't gone there yet.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 5:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Thanks so much John for the link. I enjoyed viewing the documentary, made more interesting with memories of my recent visit still fresh in the mind. To photograph the entire train in its full beauty, we need to stay a few days there, identify and choose vantage locations from where you can have a good view and then wait patiently because there are only two services in a day now. Moreover, the steam engine runs only up to Coonoor, where the engine is detached and a diesel locomotive takes over from there.

I know of another such train running in the Darjeeling area, but I haven't gone there yet.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Once again thanks for sharing the experience.
The Darjeeling Railway is very famous, with very cute little steam locos, which are very distinctive. My friend has a live steam model of one in 1:19 scale. I hope you manage to take a trip there one day. If you do, I will be very envious !

Last edited by John J; Jul 25, 2014 at 5:59 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:11 PM   #8

G'day Raghu

Beautiful mate, really beautiful

I like all of them - it brings back fond memories from similar [but not as beautiful] journies in Australia

I particularly like image #3 - thru the tunnel ~ it just grabs me in a particular way

Well done
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2014, 9:47 PM   #9

Thanks so much, Phil! What is gratifying for me is that all the in-train shots were taken when the train was moving. I particularly like the rail-road crossing shot, because I spotted it just then and within seconds the camera (FZ 200) was able to switch on and focus right! A few meters up, I would have missed this composition.

Thanks again, I appreciate your comments.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:50 AM   #10

Great stuff Raghu, Beautiful scenery, take a bow.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote