Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:29 PM   #1

Default Shhh.......!

I saw some strange attachments to the leaves of the night jasmine (nyctanthes arbortristis) plant at home, and thought it was an insect attack. On closer inspection, found it to be an 'under construction' nest of the tailorbird.

A couple of shots of the initial peek. If I am lucky enough to spot the bird living there and raising her chicks, I will surely photograph and post. For the moment, I have decided to stay away from prying, in order for the little bird to gain confidence and continue completing her nest.

Sponsored Links
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:29 PM   #2

I am thrilled, and worried too. Yesterday night's heavy rain had brought this nest hanging down, the soft material completely drenched and adding weight to the tiny branch. The mother bird was not to be seen. I wanted to save the nest and so straightened the branch and tied it to an adjacent stronger branch. Before doing so, I just peeped into the nest and, surprise, see what I found: A clutch of three beautiful, light blue eggs! Will these survive the wetness and cold? Will the mother come and sit on the eggs again to provide warmth, now that the nest itself is wet? Questions for which I have to only wait to get an answer.

Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:46 AM   #3

Good news - the rain has stopped, and the mother bird is back in the nest. The fibrous padding still feels wet from the outside. I tried a different angle, from a distance, to capture the bird. I must say this little rascal is extremely cautious - I can see just the top of its head and its beak jutting out, but the moment I try to focus on the nest, it some how senses the lens movement, gets up and flies out of the nest. As long as it is there, I am sure the eggs will survive and hatch. Part of my prayers answered, I am now waiting with bated breath and hope to welcome its chicks soon!

Later in the afternoon, when it was a little warm, cloudy and quiet all around, I sneaked a peek and caught the bird with a lot of difficulty - you would understand if you see the photo how well it has chosen a place for its nest. This is the only angle from which some portion of the nest is visible, without getting near. Only a portion of its beak and top of its head up to the left eye is visible. To help as marker, I have put a circle over it.

Last edited by Raghu; Aug 3, 2014 at 7:50 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:07 AM   #4

I am both happy and sad. Happy that within a span of few weeks, two of the eggs have hatched, the chicks have grown and the mother has taken them away. Sad that I was not able to photograph their growth, though they were within arm's reach.

All that remains is the empty nest now, with just one unhatched egg.

If you are interested, you may read the full story here: http://amblog-raghu.blogspot.in/2014...le-rascal.html.

Last edited by Raghu; Aug 23, 2014 at 4:22 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2014, 5:15 PM   #5

G'day Raghu

OMG - how nature works and makes it all work as well
Your great PJ skills are shown here as well ... Thanks for a small glimpse of your life

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:04 PM   #6

Thanks so much Phil - I appreciate your feedback.