Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:23 AM   #1

Default FZ200 new photos

Been playing and practising with the FZ200. The controls are so much better I find and I have taken these on manual mode as I find it quite easy - never could manage it on the 38.
All taken in my garden.

All taken at F2.8 - and at ISO 160, with spot metering

The first one was taken at 102mm for first one,
20mm for second one,
25mm for third one,
81mm for fourth one
and 63mm for last one.
Comments to improve welcome. All saved for web, just in case that effects the quality. should I do that?
E.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:27 AM   #2

Showing this one which has been reduced to 7inches in size but not saved for wen - is there a difference in quality?
No PP done.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 8:02 PM   #3

I can't see a difference.
Very nice phots Eysha, my favourites are 2 and 3. In no.2 the background works well with stems. It is simple and stunning and I guess I could also say it is stunningly simple !

What is the plant in no.3 ? Again, a nice backround which really makes the flower stand out.

Nos 4 + 5 Your becoming quite the bees knees (sorry, couldn't resist that) at these shots !

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:53 AM   #4

I agree with John J, and his picks of numbers 2 and 3 as favorites. I like number 4 as well, and, knowing this is not the critique forum, I hope you don't mind a bit of critique on number 4.I think you missed the bee as the focal point, and hit the flower behind it. Killer shot, otherwise. Sadly, there are few do-overs with insect shots, especially fast moving bees.

edit: I went back and took another look at number 4, and now I'm not sure. I will leave my post as is in case someone wants to agree with me or slam me.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Last edited by Hawgwild; Jul 31, 2014 at 1:56 AM.
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:47 AM   #5

Thanks John J, I likeno.2 too especially the little creature, it was so tiny I almost missed it - hope you saw it.
I will try to find the name of that flower for you and let you know. again it has a creature on it but I wasn't focusing on it at the time as I didn't see it until I uploaded the photo. I do like macro photography an waiting to get my step up ring so I can use my macro and long lens from my 38 for my 200.
Hawgwild, I don't mind in the least as I have so much to learn. One day I will get a really good clear shot of a bee but they are so fast I do tend to miss them but will keep trying.

Old Jul 31, 2014, 6:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks John J, I likeno.2 too especially the little creature, it was so tiny I almost missed it - hope you saw it.
I will try to find the name of that flower for you and let you know. again it has a creature on it but I wasn't focusing on it at the time as I didn't see it until I uploaded the photo. I do like macro photography an waiting to get my step up ring so I can use my macro and long lens from my 38 for my 200.
Hawgwild, I don't mind in the least as I have so much to learn. One day I will get a really good clear shot of a bee but they are so fast I do tend to miss them but will keep trying.
I did notice the little creature - an added bonus.

I think Hawgwild may be right about No.4, either that or it may be due to a very shallow depth of field. When I started using the LC55 with my FZ150 I found that in a lot of my bee shots, one part of the body appeared sharper than the rest depending on the orientation of the bee. I found that the depth of field was very shallow and part of the bee was in focus and the rest slightly out of focus. I also discovered that I needed a very fast shutter speed to capture the bee in flight and hopefully get the wings instead of a blur of wings. So I tried using aperture priority mode, setting the aperture at the highest f value possible and increased the ISO to 1600 in order to get high shutter speeds. At these settings I seemed to get a bit more depth of field and shots where all of the bee's body was equally sharp. I had expected to get masses of noise at such a high ISO setting, but I couldn't really see much difference between the shots captured at ISO 100 - 200 and 1600.

Looking at photo no.4 it seems as though the bee's rear end is sharper than the head. I can see all the hair (fur?) detail at the rear of its body, but the hair on the head seems to be a bit fuzzy, so I wonder if it could be the same problem that I had.

They are very fast moving, and our bees don't stay in one place for more than a few seconds, which is very frustrating. Butterflies are a bit more obliging, especially in warm sunshine, they seem to take short power naps !

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:45 AM   #7

Hi John J, first of all the plant you asked about in no.3 photo is an Echinacea bud, found the tag it came it. It is a perennial.
I will give what you say a try and see what happens. I do have my ISO set to no higher than 400 as I was told that noise became a problem any higher so I will try auto on that.
Will keep you informed, no photos today as it is raining and bees cannot fly in the rain I am told.