Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:54 AM   #1

Default Butterflies

The African monarch, or Plain tiger as it is called here:

Lemon Pansy:
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:24 PM   #2

Thanks Raghu, the African Monarch does have a very distinctive body. Nice sharp photos.
Does the Lemon Pansy look like this when it has it's wings closed ? I took this photo at a recent visit to an "artificial" rain forest. There were no info notices to inform us about the butterflies. The two I saw were too busy feeding and never opened their wings, hence my question as they look similar with the placing of the "eye" on their wings.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:30 PM   #3

Nice sample, but I think you cropped it a little too close, John. I think these are known are 'owl butterflies', or the Caligo family, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caligo_memnon. Lemon pansy doesn't have an 'eye' on the underside of its wings, i.e. you can't see an 'eye' when its wings are folded.

Last edited by Raghu; Sep 14, 2014 at 9:33 PM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Nice sample, but I think you cropped it a little too close, John. I think these are known are 'owl butterflies', or the Caligo family, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caligo_memnon. Lemon pansy doesn't have an 'eye' on the underside of its wings, i.e. you can't see an 'eye' when its wings are folded.
Uhm...err.. I didn't crop it, it was just resized from 3456 x 3456 capture in IA mode. I haven't posted it here until now (for possible identification purposes), as I realised on arrival home that I missed the last half of its antennae In my defence I can only say that I had to take the photo by zooming in from approx 6ft away in a confined space, with people pushing past me, the other shots I took were all blurry from being bumped.

Thank you for the identification and link Raghu, it's much appreciated.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote