Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 23, 2014, 6:56 AM   #1

Default Help required to post photo!

Please can anyone help? Wanting to post a photo - but have forgotten the sizes for posting. Unfortunately, I’m not able to open the “Manage Attachments” info to get the details - or rather, my PC won’t! (It’s getting cranky like me!).
The “Posting Rules” for me state that I “may post attachments”. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Copperfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:51 AM   #2

What happens when you click on "Manage Attachments"?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:41 AM   #3
Administrator

When making a new post, just click on the paperclip icon that you'll see in the forum entry screen toolbar, and that will bring up the management attachments screen for you, where you'll see allowed file types, sizes allowed, etc.; with a "Choose File" button that lets you browse for photos on your hard drive and include them in posts here. Simply use that "Choose File" button, browse for the photo you want to include and click on it to select it.

Then, use the "Upload" button you'll see to the right side of that same row in the Management Attachments screen to upload a selected file to our servers so that it's included in the post you're making.

If you're not seeing that "Manage Attachments" screen when you click on the paperclip icon when making a new post here (and make sure you're in "Advanced Edit" mode, which the "Go Advanced" at the bottom of the entry screen can be used for), then something may be wrong with your browser settings (not allowing pop ups or similar).

When making a new post, it should be using the "Advanced Mode" by default, so that you'll have a toolbar at the top of the text entry screen that includes the paperclip icon that brings up the Manage Attachments screen for you.

But, if editing posts (or using a "quick response" with the entry screen at the bottom of an existing post in a thread), you may need to click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the text entry screen to see the advanced edit toolbars with more options (including the paperclip icon you can click on to manage attachments)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2014, 9:45 AM   #4

If you are still not able to go there, this is the window:
Attached Images

Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
What happens when you click on "Manage Attachments"?
It just changes colour! But won't open the link.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:09 PM   #6

JimC: Thanks for your post - will study it tomorrow a.m.

Raghu: Thanks for your post. The "Attachment key" you posted contains the info I need. But will post more.

Suffering from "blurry eyes" at the moment - due to Hay Fever! So, switching off for now.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:42 PM   #7

Have tried your suggestions - sadly, without success. Putting the cursor over the “paperclip icon” shows a little panel: “attachments” - but clicking on the icon doesn’t open it unfortunately. I also switched off my Internet Security (Kaspersky) in case that could be the cause - but to no avail.
So, sadly I can’t post photos. But I will continue taking photos with my new FZ200!
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:07 PM   #8
Administrator

What Operating System (XP, Vista, Win 7, Win 8, etc.) are you using now?

What internet browsers have you tried (Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Firefox 1x, 2x, 3x; Chrome 2x, 3x, etc.)?

You may have some kind of internet browser setting causing the issue (prohibiting any kind of pop ups, legit like the attachments screen or not), or extension installed that's causing the issue. Or, you may have something very basic disabled (for example, not allowing javascript, as most any modern web site would need for most editing functions). I've seen users get javascript and java confused, sometimes disabling javascript (which is absolutely needed to use the edit screens you'll find in most forums like ours). Disabling java is a good idea. Disabling javacript is a bad idea. You may also have installed some kind of add-on (noscript, etc.) that's not allowing javacript to run unless you "white list" our site.

If you can't find something obvious in the settings (or extensions you've installed) for your existing browser and you're using an up to date version of it (and it's a good idea to keep your browser version up to date for many reasons, especially since security vulnerabilities are fixed with each new release), I'd try a different browser for starters. For example, download the latest release of Firefox or Chrome for your Operating System (and you can have more than one browser installed at the same time).

Mozilla Firefox:
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox

Google Chrome:
https://www.google.com/chrome/browser/

There are plenty of other browsers available that should work fine, too (I have IE, Chrome, Konqueror, Firefox, Opera and more installed, and there are many others available, too).

I'd give members more info about your operating system and internet browser you're having issues with for starters, as some kind of extension or browser setting may be causing the issue.

Most browsers also have a way for you to easily reset them back to factory defaults, too. So, more info about the internet browser you're using would be helpful so we can try to talk you through any settings issues that may be causing your problems.

Basically, most modern browsers should work fine and let you open the manage attachments screen. So, something is likely wrong with your browser settings (perhaps caused by an add-on you installed) causing the problem.

Of course, sometimes adware can cause issues, too. So, it wouldn't hurt to run a few scans to make sure you didn't install some along the way.

To check for that kind of issue, run adwcleaner to make sure adware isn't causing your problems. It's free, and it's the best tool aroundt for removing most common adware that can cause issues with browsers and extensions. Use it's scan choice, then mark everything found and use the clean button to remove the adware found during the scan.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

Then, run Malwarebytes Free. It's a super product that can find and remove many common malware and adware infections that many other products will miss (but, run adwcleaner first):

https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/

Make sure to mark everything it finds (including PUPs, which are Potentially Unwanted Programs like adware left overs that could be causing issues with your browsers) for removal, as they're not always flagged for removal by default and you have to check the boxes beside them in the scan results.

Then, I'd run a followup scan using Hitman Pro. It's a great scanner using multiple scan engines, and you can use it for free and remove any malware (and adware) found for up to 30 days after you install it, without anything running in the background that could interfere with the antivirus products you're already using. Same deal... remove everything it identifies. Get it here:

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

That way (using those 3 products), you'd rule out that most adware or malware may be the culprit).

Most antivirus programs will not flag adware as malicious by default, because adware is usually something you give permission to install. Most downloads of free software from popular download sites like cnet's download.com have adware included by default now, unless you're very careful to use a custom installation and uncheck the boxes to include it. Many users are not aware that search toolbars often included are usually tied into adware programs running in the background, too.

Software vendors and download sites count on users not reading the "fine print" that indicates adware is included by default unless you take steps to "opt out" by unchecking the boxes for it (and the installers can be confusing and misleading, too).

That's just one of the trends we're seeing lately so that download sites and software developers make more money on their "free" products. A lot of it can cause issues with browsers. So, make sure to "opt out" of any extras (especially browser search toolbars and similar), when installing software to avoid adware infection.

Chances are, you just have a browser setting or extension causing your problems. So, again, give us more info about your operating system and browser version for starters. But, I'd make sure to check for any adware that you may have accidentally installed using the products I suggested above, too (as adware and associated search toolbars can often cause odd problems with internet browsers, and your existing antivirus protection may be ignoring it, as is usually the case for adware installations).
Old Sep 26, 2014, 2:00 AM   #9

JimC:

My OS is Windows 7 and browser IE11 (both fully updated) . I use Kaspersky Internet Security; and run Malwarebytes daily. No add-ons have been put to my browser.
Because of my limited knowledge/ability of computer matters - I would not want to try other browers, etc - as, I can assure you, I could do a lot more harm than good! And, for me, trying to find the “something” that’s causing this problem would take longer than looking for the proverbial “needle in a haystack”!
I very much appreciate your time in producing so much information for me - and realise that people such as your self would probably locate the problem quite quickly. But I think the best policy for me in this matter is to realise that a “problem” has occurred somewhere on my PC which prevents me from posting photos - and it’s something that I’m not able to resolve.
I shall, of course, still visit the site and view the contents.

John
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:13 AM   #10
Administrator

You may want to reset IE 11 to defaults, in case a setting is causing the issue. IE 11 has a menu option built in you can use for that purpose. If you expand the section near the bottom of this page, you'll see instructions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/i...tings#ie=ie-11

IOW, follow these steps, as outlined on that page, then reboot your PC and see if it works OK for posting photos here after the reset.

1. Close all Internet Explorer windows that are currently open.
  2. Open the desktop, and then tap or click the Internet Explorer icon on the taskbar. Changing your settings will affect both Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer for the desktop.
  3. Tap or click the Tools button , and then tap or click Internet options.
  4. Tap or Click the Advanced tab, and then tap or click Reset.
  5. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, tap or click Reset.
  6. When Internet Explorer finishes applying default settings, tap or click Close, and then tap or click OK. You'll need to restart your PC for these changes to take effect.