Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:07 AM   #1

Default Grey Squirrel

Grey Squirrel - bright-eyed and bushy tailed!

FZ200: f/2.8 - 1/100 sec - ISO 200
Attached Images

Copperfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2014, 7:29 PM   #2

Very nice shot, but IMHO a slight pity that the top of it's left is cut off.
So cute, some people don't think so, but I do! Great subjects for photos if they sit still long enough
Living in a small village out in the countryside I expected to see squirrels, but never have, apart from once a few years ago when we visited the Danish island of Fyn (Funen) where we saw quite a few black squirrels, which was a surprise for me as I had alway thought there were red and grey squirrels, I'd never heard of black ones !

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:33 AM   #3

Thanks for your comment - appreciated. I totally agree about the ear - but, in my defence:
This is the actual photo “as taken” - it has not been cropped. Squirrels are, in the main, active little creatures - even when they stop - they don’t stay long!
I’ve only had the camera 3 weeks - and this was its third outing - and I’m still trying to familiarise myself with it! So, it was simply a case of “point -shoot - and hope”! And - please don’t tell anyone - but it's still in Auto mode!
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copperfield View Post
Thanks for your comment - appreciated. I totally agree about the ear - but, in my defence:
This is the actual photo “as taken” - it has not been cropped. Squirrels are, in the main, active little creatures - even when they stop - they don’t stay long!
I’ve only had the camera 3 weeks - and this was its third outing - and I’m still trying to familiarise myself with it! So, it was simply a case of “point -shoot - and hope”! And - please don’t tell anyone - but it's still in Auto mode!
Yes they certainly love moving about at the wrong moments, bees are even worse, if you want to keep your sanity forget taking close-ups of bees
Your secret is safe with me ! (whispered) Nothing wrong with auto mode, I often use it !
I hope you are pleased with your new camera and getting loads of "WOW" moments like I did after I got my FZ150.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2014, 6:09 AM   #5

I was once told by a photographer to feed them a wee bit of a Mars Bars and they sit still chewing it . Never tried it so can't say if it works
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:53 PM   #6

That's a nice shot, when you still haven't got the full grip on your camera. Still, it would be ideal to have the full figure in frame, and as much of the subject in clear focus - including the 'bushy tail', since you mentioned it! Which means you need to learn to use the other modes on the dial too

Some eatable would do to make a squirrel sit tight. But for bees and other insects, patience is the only key - in addition to choosing a much higher shutter speed and flash if required. This one, one among many at the Fort complex in Agra, is so addicted to nuts that they hop on anybody's hands!

All these you will learn by practice. Do keep clicking, we are eager to see more!

Last edited by Raghu; Oct 11, 2014 at 11:02 PM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:37 AM   #7

Forzahibs: Thanks for the tip! Trouble is, it’ll be me nibbling on the Mars Bar!

Raghu: Thanks for advice - methinks I shall have to spend some money and buy some food for the squirrels! I’ve “taken on board” your comments; and, as we slowly creep towards our winter - I intend to go out and about with the camera and learn as much as I can - using it and trying out the different settings. But not having to cope with small, fast moving critters!