Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 12, 2014, 7:50 PM   #1

Default Morning Train. (FZ70/72)

This was an event that I had been excitedly looking forward to for quite a while, and expected to take a lot of photos and video.
Has anyone ever arrived at an event only to realise that they had forgotten to remove their camera's SD card from the computer after tranferring photos ?
Thats what I did last Friday evening and spent Saturday morning and afternoon cursing my stupidity
Thankfully my camera did have some limited internal storage, so I reduced the image size setting to 5 megapixels, and found I had room for 68 images or a few minutes of video. Well things turned out ok, and I did manage to capture the essential moments of the day.

The steam train was part of the celebrations for the 150th anniversary of the railway reaching the town of Skive in Jutland.
I did manage to get just a few minutes of video of this nostalgic event with the FZ70/72. My wife and I ended up very windblown after standing on a coach end balcony for 25 minutes travelling behind the locomotive at speeds of 50 to 60 mph whilst recording video and enjoying the exhilerating ride. For anyone who's interested... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBioJaTVhAo

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:31 PM   #2

Nice shots John, enjoyed viewing.

Has anyone ever arrived at an event only to realise that they had forgotten to remove their camera's SD card from the computer after tranferring photos ?

We all have.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 8:02 AM   #3

First, thanks for sharing. I love trains, and enjoyed the photos.
The first shot itself is superb, I like the shadow cutting through the smoke.
Sure, I will have a look at the video.
Great job, keep more coming!

Jim, sure, not only I have missed a few photo-ops by forgetting to put the SD card back, but some events by forgetting to pack the camera itself! Yes, it has happened.

Last edited by Raghu; Oct 13, 2014 at 8:06 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
Nice shots John, enjoyed viewing.

We all have.
Thanks, Jim.

Nice to know I am not the only one ! I guess I am now a member of the club !

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
First, thanks for sharing. I love trains, and enjoyed the photos.
The first shot itself is superb, I like the shadow cutting through the smoke.
Sure, I will have a look at the video.
Great job, keep more coming!

Jim, sure, not only I have missed a few photo-ops by forgetting to put the SD card back, but some events by forgetting to pack the camera itself! Yes, it has happened.
Thanks Raghu, I liked the first one too, for the same reason, and the fourth one also, with the sunlight lighting up the steam, and the shadows of the people on the platform, the automatic "backlighting" feature kicked in for that shot.

A couple of months ago, my wife and I rushed off to a hot air balloon championship hoping to get some interesting photos, after we had heard that there was a possibility that they might be taking off after being grounded for a few days due to bad weather.
After a 1 hour drive we arrived at the take off field, filled with hopeful ballonists, it was at this point I discovered that I had forgotten my camera ! You are not alone Lucky for us that day, the competition was eventually cancelled due to the wind being to strong.