Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:43 AM   #1

Default Indoor photography - FZ200

I am experimenting with flashless photography for indoor events, moving to higher ISO. A few shots taken at family functions in the last few days:

I am beginning to really like the FZ200. At ISO 800 these images, i believe, are not noisy at all. C&C most welcome.
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:32 AM   #2

Overall, I'd say they turned out good. There are some where motion blur/camera shake is a problem - that's always a risk when you're dealing with low shutter speeds. But there are some extremely good photos as well.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2014, 8:18 AM   #3

Yes, John, thanks for looking and for telling me where the problems are. I was aware of this possibility, but my desire to bring the true colors and shades out could be achieved only avoiding flash. I could have tried higher ISO to faster shutter, yes. Will reserve that for the next occasion! I am still learning, and I am sure I am going to give my FZ200 a good run before finally deciding on a dSLR upgrade. Meanwhile, I appreciate friends viewing and commenting - I am ready for bouquets and brickbats as well.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:07 PM   #4

G'day mate

I'd say that your family is as good lookin' as your images

I'm one who will accept noise just as I accepted film-grain in the past - it's part of the image creation process - and you can decide whether to minimise it or accentuate it as well

Your images are a really beaut set of 'real-life' images, well exposed and beautifully focussed ... and expose us to part of your life as well

Well done
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:03 AM   #5

Hello Raghu,
Regarding a DSLR, I had a FZ7 9 yrs ago before I finally bought a Nikon D40x then I changed it for a D 5000 I eventually gave that to my grandson ( he needed a good DSLR for his uni studies) and I bought a D 5100 and now I've replaced the F Z 7 with the F Z 200. The FZ 200 will do things my Nikon wont ,slow motion video, 600 mm at F2.8 for example. My Nikon is better at low light without doubt but to be honest, I look at my photo's on my 42" HD TV my PC and at the largest A4 print size and there's very little to choose between them . The two cameras work well together giving me the best of both worlds. I have also I've realized that it's only people like us who look really closely at photographs, I bet your wife or mother don't know what you're talking about if you mention noise. I recently tested my Nikon at 200 mm at F5.6 against the FZ 200 at 200 mm F 2.8 in poor light the fact that I had to push the Nikon's i s o quite high to match the F2.8 of the FZ200 meant that the difference between the shots noise wise was very hard to see if any.That F2.8 is a great advantage with long shots.
A word of warning though Raghu when taking photo's of the man with the flute beware because I think there is usually a Cobra nearby :-)
Impressive Photo's by the way.Well done.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2014, 7:53 AM   #6

Good day, Phil, and thanks for the compliment. I will pass on to those charming ladies, young and not-so-young. You used the right word there - 'real life' colors. Flash, particularly at close range, spoils those vibrant shades.

Deadshot - I take your advice, I will not hurry into upgrading to a dSLR. And, thanks for viewing and taking the time and effort to give a pragmatic opinion. Much appreciated.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 9:55 AM   #7

Hello Raghu,
It may at first glance look like I was contradicting myself regarding low light.
If I was going into a Church or Cathedral and having to shoot around F 4 at say 50mm
,the Nikon would give me better results because Pana's F2.8 would lose a lot of it's advantage. Also you very often need more D O F so therefore using higher F No's the Nikon will win again.
The FZ1000 or the Sony RX10 are looking very good though. If I had money to spare and a wife that wouldn't kill me, I would definitely want one of those. I think also Raghu that your pics will have helped the sales of the FZ200 they're generally very good indeed.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Nov 15, 2014 at 10:13 AM.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote