Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 20, 2015, 6:19 AM   #1

Default Panney bridge camera CONVERSION options

On my FZ40 and other Panney bridge cameras there is an option under CONVERSION (for example, see pg 144 in the FZ40 Advanced Features manual, for reference) for choosing either "tele converter lens" or "close up lens."

I've gotten some info on the "tele converter" option from another forum, but I would be interested if anyone has any info and/or experience regarding exactly what happens in the camera when either of the options is selected.

Thanks for any help!
iowaphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:46 AM   #2

Pany bridge cameras offer optional tele and close-up accessories which help extend the zoom range at the long end by a factor 1.7X. The close up accessory help you achieve closer focus than what comes with the camera built in.
These accessories are rather expensive but they are original,native, dedicated and optimized for the panny cameras.
I have them for my FZ35/FZ100/and LX5
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2015, 2:39 PM   #3

When you added the adapter tube to the body of the FZ to mount the teleconverter or close-up lens, it would vignette to a certain point. When you activate the "conversion" in the menu, the lens would go beyond that point on start up, so you didn't have to hunt for it. It's similar to the "zoom resume".

It's been a long time since I used it, but I think it went to full zoom for close-up and about 6x for the TC and set focus at infinity. It might even have done the 35mm conversion in the exif data.

You can activate it without the adapter and converter and just watch what the lens does on start up. It basically just compensates for using the adapter tube.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBbuilder467 View Post
When you added the adapter tube to the body of the FZ to mount the teleconverter or close-up lens, it would vignette to a certain point. When you activate the "conversion" in the menu, the lens would go beyond that point on start up, so you didn't have to hunt for it. It's similar to the "zoom resume".
Yeah Bob - quite correct

The lens zooms to about 2 'n-a-bit' x zoom so that there's no corner-cutoff
I used to leave the adapter tube on 100% of the time as it became a great little lens hood ~ and obviously removed it for those few shots at 1x wide-angle zoom

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:54 AM   #5

Thanks for all the input. If the only effect of those settings is to start the lens at a different zoom level, I don't see much advantage to using them. I'm perfectly capable of playing with the zoom lever without the help of Panny's engineering staff!

Of more interest, however, is that when I posted this question on dpreview's forum, I got several answers which seemed to indicate that there might also be an unadvertised IS function which kicks in to provide additional stabilization, at least with the "tele converter" setting with some Panney bridge cameras, especially in a discussion of the IS function with the FZ200.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in IS with either the tele or close-up function enabled on any of the Panney bridge cameras?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaphotog View Post
Thanks for all the input. If the only effect of those settings is to start the lens at a different zoom level, I don't see much advantage to using them. I'm perfectly capable of playing with the zoom lever without the help of Panny's engineering staff!

Of more interest, however, is that when I posted this question on dpreview's forum, I got several answers which seemed to indicate that there might also be an unadvertised IS function which kicks in to provide additional stabilization, at least with the "tele converter" setting with some Panney bridge cameras, especially in a discussion of the IS function with the FZ200.

Has anyone noticed an improvement in IS with either the tele or close-up function enabled on any of the Panney bridge cameras?
A Panasonic can have 3 or 4 different IS modes available. The TC mode might switch it automatically, but you can do that anyway. That's no secret.
BBbuilder467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2015, 4:33 AM   #7

Ah, there's the rub! The question then becomes which mode the engineer chose as most appropriate for the "Tele" or "Close up" options if the camera is indeed choosing a mode from already-available options, instead of going to a special IS mode for the CONVERSION options.

Granted, different models may have more IS options than another, but in general terms, in your opinion, what type of IS would be best suited for either of these CONVERSION options, if it would make a difference?

Better yet, maybe someone has the secret email of the Lumix engineer in the corner cubicle of Panasonic's 3rd sub-basement so I can ask him (or her) all my questions directly about what the camera is "thinking" when I choose a given mode or option!

Thanks for your input!