Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:18 AM   #1

Default 1300 years ago..

The urge must have run through the blood of Mahendravarman and his successors, starting late 7th century. To create monuments that would last for ever. Why most of them were left unfinished and the entire area deserted only to be found much later by Europeans still remains a mystery, but the expressions the sculptures exude and the expertise they exhibit leave you dumbstruck with awe, every time you visit these ageless monuments of Mahabalipuram. All the tools they had at that time were just chisels and hammer, big and small.

A few photos that I captured last week:

Now known as Tiger Cave, the purpose of this rock cut sculpture is not known - could have been an open air auditorium. First have a look at the unworked portion of remaining rock formation and then at what they carved out of this huge rock.

This is (now) known as Dharmaraja Ratha (chariot), we don't know who named these as such. But this, and the three other chariot-like formations are monolithic - were cut out of one huge block of rock. This particular one is extraordinary in the sense it has three storeys, housing excellent work of art sculpted on hard rock, a very difficult task considering the very limited space they had to stand and work around.

Here is the view of other chariots in a row:

A close shot of just two figures:

Hari-hara, a combination of Vishnu and Shiva, half on either side, exhibiting numerous subtle characteristics unique to each form in one sculpture, visible to the discerning students of art:

Ardha-nari, Man-Woman halves, Shiva giving half of his body to his consort Uma or Shakthi. Again, a close look would reveal the female portion standing on her toes to adjust to the height of the male portion, to cite just one example of the nuance of creativity that has gone into this sculpture. Experts point out more than 20 such differences, including the shapely hip of the female portion, between the right and left halves.

For the really interested, one week is not sufficient to enjoy these magnificent works of art in Mahabalipuram.

Last edited by Raghu; Mar 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:42 PM   #2

Always interesting to learn of things like this around the world. Thanks for posting - Tom
TomH in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:27 AM   #3

Thanks for looking, it was my pleasure sharing. Google 'Mamallapuram' and you will get lot more information and pictures.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:05 PM   #4

Thank you for sharing this Raghu its very interesting to see such monuments and also learn the story behind them.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 9:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoper2 View Post
Thank you for sharing this Raghu
Most welcome, it was my pleasure sharing. Glad you like these.