Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 2, 2004, 1:37 PM   #1

Default Oh, yeah, the FZ1 was a find!!!

There are features of this $270 camera I either didn't have on my Dimage 5, or I didn't like the way they worked.

Panasonic should have marketed these things as the everymans camera...however, we're locked into a megapixel war currently. Much like hybrids vs. European diesels...people miss the good stuff.

Sorry, tangent starting.

I worked with it a bit last night, and didn't really fathom the effect compression in jpg format would have on a 2 MP image. I was accustomed to squishing my images way down, to make them reasonably small for e-mail...well, *dial-up* e-mail (not me, I'm a DSL-kinda guy), and I was overlooking the file's actual size. Duh.

Plus, getting to white balance, today, in sunlight (a rarity this time of year in the Pacific NorthWet), with a sheet of 92 brightness HP paper, all is *much* better. Turned the camera's settings back to 'standard' and the "coloration" to 'off', and the funky cream-gray walls of my office stopped turning out light beige.

I also found you can record a five second 'note' to go with a picture...now there is a handy feature. Oh, yeah!
mckellyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:44 PM   #2

Congratulations on a fine camera. It is fun to work with and will provide high-quality results.
gwesto01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 10:04 PM   #3

Default Re: Oh, yeah, the FZ1 was a find!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckellyb
I also found you can record a five second 'note' to go with a picture...now there is a handy feature. Oh, yeah!
Not only can you record a "note" with the picture when you are taking it, but you can also add it later when you're viewing it. That was a nice touch to me. I rarely use this feature, but because I rarely use it I also rarely remember that it's there! So, after thinking, "Darn, could've recorded an "note" with that one so I'd know (whatever)...", it's still all good because I can just add it to the picture.

Even though I consider myself an avid amateur photographer, I still like the "gimmick" features that come with the camera -- voice recordings, video modes, special color features (b/w, sepia, etc.), and all the other little gimmicks just please the punch out of me.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 10:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
special color features (b/w, sepia, etc.)
Alas, no sepia.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 10:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
Alas, no sepia.
I know...just a rather worthless blue and red modes instead. Never did find a use for them!
Old Mar 7, 2004, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
I know...just a rather worthless blue and red modes instead. Never did find a use for them!
They do seem to be redundant, given the WB adjustment.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
Quote:
They do seem to be redundant, given the WB adjustment.
There might be a time when you would like to add a little bit of warmth or cooling to a picture in otherwise good lighting. That's what the red/blue control is for. White balance is more for attempting to overcome adverse lighting conditions.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 11:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmoore
Quote:
special color features (b/w, sepia, etc.)
Alas, no sepia.
Sepia is easily, (and usually better), done in an image editor. What Panasonic neglected is a fluorescent setting.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:20 AM   #9

Default red/blue control

I occasionally used the Color Effect setting to get more accurate color when taking flower photos with the virgin fz1. Havent had any flowers since I upgraded. That is about to change. I may be using the more easily accessible red/blue control for that.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerito
There might be a time when you would like to add a little bit of warmth or cooling to a picture in otherwise good lighting. That's what the red/blue control is for. White balance is more for attempting to overcome adverse lighting conditions.
Have you tried it? It doesn't really add just a light warmth or cooling effect -- it's like the difference in viewing the world with blue or red sunglasses. The red option almost looks like the view through my R72 infrared filter. I think it's a worthless feature, IMHO, and remember I'm the one who likes gimmick features! Haha.