Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 12, 2015, 9:42 AM   #1

Default FZ1000 FZ200,Nikon D5100

First of all I want to say this is not scientific, just the observations of a bumbling old fool..
Yesterday I went to a store and shot off iso's 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400,at 18mm 100mm 200mm plus a 200mm facial portrait with the FZ200 the FZ1000 and the Nikon D5100+Nikon 18-200mm vr lens and was amazed at what I found to be honest.
On my PC I found that the FZ1000 was better against the FZ200 up to iso 3200, I stopped at that point with the FZ200 because you have to go into Hi mode and I know it's not good .
What I wasn't expecting was how good the FZ1000 did against my Nikon outfit, at iso 800, 1600, the FZ1000 was better, at iso 3200 ,18 mm 100 mm the FZ1000 was better but a draw at 200 mm and the portrait??.
Iso 6400 there was nothing much in it even at 100% I certainly wouldn't want to live on the difference.I didn't go up to iso 12800 because I never go there and I know the Nikon is not good there anyway.
To be fair on Nikon it was my lens that was not as good as the FZ1000's( if I had a F2.8-F4 Nikon lens on it would be a different story) but the FZ1000's Auto white balance was far better than my Nikon.
So put into the equation a 400mm lens ,Macro shots, panorama,slow motion vids and not forgetting 4K vids.
I know I can make panorama's in Photoshop but it is time consuming and not always easy.
So guess what I'm going to buy?? no prizes by the way.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:32 PM   #2

I think you will not regret getting the FZ1000. I picked one up about a month ago and have been very impressed with it.

I bought it mainly as a B camera for 4K video shoots, to supplement my GH4. Plus as an all around travel camera.

The only thing I do not like is the rather hefty crop for 4K shooting.

It also has the exact same firmware stupid quirks/gotchas as the GH4 and GX7.

Namely, if you move AF off the shutter button (as I do) to the rear AF button, the rear AF button is disabled in 4K video (not sure about in HD). Second, I use pinpoint AF, which is also disabled in 4K video.

But image quality is outstanding
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2015, 1:15 AM   #3

I sold my Nikon D5100 and bought the Panasonic FZ1000. This is the most versatile camera I ever worked with.
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:42 PM   #4

Despite your tests, I suspect a typical FZ1000 user would'nt be shooting at the extreme iso limits often- and as such,the versatility of the FZ1000 is a compelling proposition.
Much like any DSLR- their image creating capabilities (whilst great) is governed by the lens attached and processors which seem to err on the side of post processing junkies- unlike the OOC priority of a bridge camera.
If you don't need an extremely shallow DOF or wide dynamic range it's hard to argue against something like an FZ1000.
What I will add however- with regards IQ- I've been unimpressed by the IQ of several DSLR's in the past- only to be completely swung around by a lens upgrade.
A lens (such as a kit lens or an "all in one") if not sharp, affects the way the processor works to produce what it considers to be a decent jpeg image- in effect, little or no sharpening is required with sharp glass- as opposed to the processor working to produce a sharp one- with all the processing artifacts.
When I purchased a D3100 some time ago- iso 1600 performance was less than stellar with the kit lens- but completely transformed with a prime lens...

DSLR's I feel are better for specific purposes with a specific (an appropriate) lens attached....
Something like an FZ1000 offers great versatility AND still very good IQ from it's large-ish sensor... and I suspect is by far the better proposition for many...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:18 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies.
Well I went and bought it yesterday, so I'm playing with it today.
First thing, I was amazed by how fast it focuses, it seems lightning fast compared to my Nikon even moving focus from near to far objects without touching the focus button it's still pretty good.
Flash, it will allow me with the Nissin i40 to go up 1/1000th shutter speed, my Nikon stops at 1/200th.
My Nikon SB700 just drops onto the D5100 but putting the i40 onto the FZ1000 is a fiddle, not Panasonics fault though, the i40 otherwise is a great little flash.
I'm getting a lot of compression artifacts at the moment, I have to figure that out as well as what Function 4 "shutter speed effect on /off is all about.
I agree with what you say Simon40 but I've no wish to go back to changing lenses.
I recently got invited to a Hasslebad open day,with the opportunity to use their cameras /lighting,bodies starting at 8000+, that makes you realize what good image quality is all about but purely for studio work.Their lighting cost 1000's as well, it's a different world.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:48 PM   #6

Default waiting to see pictures

I am also considering the FZ1000 for a trip to Alaska. I also have a FZ200 that I have gotten some pretty nice pictures. I use the FZ200 mainly for wildlife pictures because of the great zoom, but I have found that when I go much over 400 asa the pictures suffer.

Also had a 1.7xtelephoto lens but unfortunately I stripped the threads on the FZ200 and can no longer attach it. I had a 500mm Sigma I used with my Nikon D90, but handheld it really didn't get as good pictures as the FZ200.

I am hoping the fz1000 with the larger sensor will compensate for the shorter focal length of the FZ200.

Would love to see some of your pictures with the 1000!!
Paul, enjoying my retirement riding my BMW R1200GS, and R90/6. Taking pictures with my new FZ200 and Nikon D90 of my grandkids, places I go and birds. God must have really had fun when he created the birds!
dpmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:21 PM   #7

opinions about FZ1000 tempt me, but I don't think I can muster enough dough right now. Have to content with my FZ200 for now, with nice pics it takes as below:

Would love to see pics out of FZ1000 here. Owners, please post!
Old Apr 17, 2015, 1:26 AM   #8

The FZ200 is indeed a wonderful camera in the right hands, but the FZ1000 plays in another league. I'm not that good a photographer myself, so my pics with the FZ1000, wil do it no justice. :-)
But you can find thousands of samples op the web, like here:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/[email protected]/
Of course most pictures in normal daylight want look better than the FZ200's. (if you don't pixelpeep)
Rudi

Last edited by rudimaes; Apr 17, 2015 at 1:32 AM.
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:14 AM   #9

I agree with rudimaes, but have a look at Graham Houghton's youtube videos.
He does more than one direct comparison between the FZ200 and FZ1000. He also demonstrates a comparison between an add on extension V digital zoom with the FZ1000. He doesn't recommend the add ons because he thinks they can damage the zoom motor. Re the comparisons in good light you have to look close but there is a difference, one difference appears to be a slightly better dynamic range and slightly better sharpness but it doesn't jump out at you.
On my PC / TV and tablet there is a difference in low light shots but the FZ200 has a 1 stop advantage at the long end.However on a German review Dkamera ( I don't speak German but my tablet translates the text) the man doing the review states that even though the FZ200 has a one stop advantage over the FZ1000, the FZ1000 has a three stop advantage over the FZ200 in it's low light performance. Interestingly he also compares the FZ200 at 600mm against the FZ1000's extended digital zoom at 600mm equivalent and shows no advantage to the FZ200.
As far as my Nikon is concerned it seems to me that the Lieca lens is superior to my Nikon 18-200mm also the Nikon set up is 12ozs heavier than the FZ1000. I love my Nikon but the FZ1000 does it all, pretty good Macro When I've posted photo's on this site in the past they have never looked as good as they really do. Raghu seems to have got this licked as do others. When I get something worth posting I'll have another go.Our only wild life is the odd fox and few ducks at the local park :-)
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
opinions about FZ1000 tempt me, but I don't think I can muster enough dough right now. Have to content with my FZ200 for now, with nice pics it takes as below:

Would love to see pics out of FZ1000 here. Owners, please post!
That's a lovely photo Raghu what else can you ask for in those conditions, over here the light goes from bright sun to dull misty gloom to rain all in an hour. I've even seen it raining on one side of the street and sunny on the other side and the street was only 50 yds wide. When in Scotland a while back I drove up a hill in the sun only to find a snow blizzard at the top.
That's when a versatile camera is useful. I think if I lived where you do the FZ200 would suit me, you've proved it to be pretty good indoors.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod