Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Default RAW Question -

I have been in Ireland for a few days and shot only in RAW, I usually shoot in jpeg but everyone says to shoot in RAW so I did.

I took a lot of photos, in the hundreds, as I didn't want to miss anything and I am unlikely to go back anytime soon.

I did download Rawtherapee but find it complicated to use - I tried it on photos I wasn't keen on.

My question is, is there an EASY to sue programme that will convert all my RAW files to Jpegs? I know it is a personal choice and some people like one programme while others don't like that programme but what I am after is something that will convert but is really very easy to use.

My photos don't look as if they need much if any tweaking as I set the camera first but still need to convert to jpeg.

I have tried reading about different programmes but all I got was confused so need your help - what programme is really easy to sue for a newbie like myself?

Thanks.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2015, 6:30 PM   #2

Raw Therapee does have a considerable learning curve, and if your pictures don't need much in the way of post-processing, it is a little overkill.
If you just want to convert to jpeg and/or resize, I would recommend Irfanview. You can set up the batch process to do several things at once, if you want, or just do the converting and saving as jpeg.
brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:20 PM   #3
Administrator

If you're not planning on much at the raw edit level, you may want to look at FastStone Image Viewer (free). Get it here:

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

It can do batch conversions of raw to jpeg for you (instead of one at a time), and is also a very fast image viewer. That way, you can select either specific photos or all photos in a folder that you want to convert and let it handle the rest for you.

But, I would save your raw files in case you have problem images that you may want to try converting using other tools later.

When you go into it's Settings and click on the RAW tab, just make sure it's converting raw to full size (Actual Size in it's choices) images, and I'd also check the box to use better color interpolation, as shown on this setup screen. As also shown below, I'd leave it set to use the camera white balance (a.k.a., as shot white balance) if you think the camera was set OK for the lighting you were in.
Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:48 AM   #4

If you're happy with your photo's "as shot" perhaps shooting RAW isn't for you- and I don't think (personally) "batch" editing RAW to jpeg is ideal as generally,shooting RAW is for fine adjustment- usually on a file by file basis.
I take it you're not keen on the supplied Silkypix then...?
If you're not "burst" shooting you could consider shoot jpeg and RAW together (as I do)...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:55 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated. Infraview and faststone seem to be popular but which is idiot proof?

Simon, I did take some shots in burst mode. Since I was going to Ireland, and doubt I will go back given the 14 hour trip there and back I decided to shoot in RAW as I have always been told RAW is the best.

I have three copies of them so I will put one onto an external hard drive for safety and change the other group to Jpegs for easier viewing and using for my art.

Not tried silkypix as it doesn't get a good write up but got it with the camera of course. I don't usually shoot RAW or use burst mode, it was just that it was a special trip for me.

Now I have about 1300 + RAW shots to convert to jpegs so the easiest one would be good as I am not really into tweaking shots - I just use mine for my artwork.

This time I need an easy, idiot proof, programme to change the Raw to jpeg and with that many shots a quick one would be good but I am a patient person.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 1:24 PM   #6

If all your doing is converting them to raw with no tweaking, don't bother shooting raw. Save time and shoot in jpg. I shoot everything in RAW, view them in ACDSee and tweak/convert the ones I want to use.

If shooting for a client and just giving them an untweaked preview I batch convert using ACDSee. Actual RAW processing is done in ADOBE camera Raw and photoshop.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:45 PM   #7

Thanks, its my first time shooting in RAW but I wanted good quality photos as I won't be going back to Ireland.
What is ACDSEE?
No clients just trying to improve my photo skills. Will probably go back to Jpegs as they are easier.

Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:25 AM   #8

ACDsee is photo edting software:
http://www.acdsee.com/
Rudi
rudimaes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:57 AM   #9
Administrator

You're making this harder than it needs to be. ;-)

If you don't care about editing raw files and think your jpeg files are "good enough", just use one of the free programs mentioned like irfanview or faststone image viewer and convert a folder full of images to jpeg without spending any time messing with settings. using the camera white balance settings by default. Chances are, they'll look very close to a camera produced jpeg image, unless you were using a lot of other settings changes like sharpening, etc. (and you can easily tweak those things for your batch conversions if desired, too).

A free product like FastStone Image Viewer also a fast image viewer with lots of features, where if you double click on a photo in the list of thumbnails you'll see for a selected folders, it opens it in a full screen view mode (and if you move your mouse to the top of the image, you'll see a strip showing thumbnails of other images in the same folder so you can easily go to the next or different image).

While in the full screen view mode, if you move your mouse to the bottom of the image, you get more info and choices, or if you move it to the right of the image, you'll see EXIF info about the camera settings displayed, or if you move it to the left side of an image, you'll see lots of edit options for exposure, saturation, etc.; and if you move it to the very top, you'll see a thumbnail strip of images in the folder where you can select a different one to view.

It's simple to use if you spend a few minutes learning how, and it's simple to convert a lot of photos to jpeg, too.

For example, if you set FastStone Image Viewer as shown above (under the Settings>Raw tab to make sure you're converting to full size images), you can use the Tools>Batch Convert menu choice, pick the folder where the raw files are, then use the "Select All" button to add all of the files to the list of files you want to convert.

Then, select the folder you want to save them to (and I'd suggest making it a different folder), and click on the button to convert them. Then, you'll end up with a folder of converted jpeg files. If you click the preview button, you can even adjust exposure, contrast, saturation, etc., then use those same settings for all images you convert in a set.

Irfanview works in a similar way. You just use it's Thumbnails feature, then select the files you want to convert and use it's batch feature to convert them.

IOW, it's really simple to shoot in raw and convert your images to jpeg without any editing needed, where you can convert an entire folder full of raw files to jpeg in just a few simple steps (without needing to convert one photo at a time). So, it's really not hard to shoot in raw versus jpeg without a lot of extra time needed for the conversion step.

But, the big advantage of shooting in raw is when you have a photo that the default settings (camera and/or raw conversion) did not work well. Then, you can edit a photo and have more latitude for adjustments (e.g., recovering highlights and shadows; or correcting for incorrect white balance settings, etc.) than you had with a straight from the camera jpeg image.

You may also want to experiment with some of the commercial programs that are available now.

Personally, I use Corel AfterShot Pro for both image management and raw conversion. It makes it easy for me to manage large quantities of images, thanks to it's very fast speed, ability to add keywords, star ratings, search by parameters in the camera exif, etc.

Even if you don't shoot in raw, it's great for use with jpeg files, too.

But, it's also very fast for raw conversion. Basically, you could open a folder of raw files with it, use it's select all feature, then use it's export feature to export those files to jpeg format. That would work the same way as using batch processing in one of the other products we're discussing.

What I usually do for photos taken in the same conditions is correct one of the images (noise reduction, levels, exposure, etc.), then use AfterShot's feature to "Copy Image Settings". Then, if I use "Select All", and I "Paste Image Settings" into all of the selected images. That way, when I export them, they'll all have those same corrections applied to them.

So, you may want to try some of the programs like that (most have 30 day trials). With Aftershot, they offer both an entry level product named "AfterShot" that may be all you need, and have a Pro product with more features. The entry level version is only $26.99 right now on sale.

http://www.aftershotpro.com/en/products/aftershot/

Note that AfterShot is available in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions (so if you don't have the latest 64 bit Operating System, you can use the 32 bit version of it instead).

Anyway, I'd suggest you download the trial versions of some of the commercial products like that. Even if you only shoot in jpeg, they can be huge time savers, by allowing you to quickly go through many images and rate them (one star, two stars, etc.), and add keywords to them, edit them, etc.

Then, you can filter your images by ratings (for example, only 3 stars and above) so that you can easily narrow down your "keepers", search for images using keywords you add (Ireland vacation, etc.), then export just those to other folders for posting, printing, etc.

There are a number of products that can use those same kinds of techniques. Adobe Lightroom is very popular for that kind of thing, too (but, it's more expensive).

But, even the available free products can work for you, without much trouble at all.

For example, if you find that a photo or two needed more adjustment after using one of the batch export features in a product like Irfanview or Faststone Image Viewer, then use one of the other products to edit it further (or just use the edit features built into one of those on a specific image instead).

For example, although it's a "no frills" product, UfRaw does a very good job in areas like Noise Reduction (where you've got a slider you can use to apply it), with settings for many other parameters, too. I

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/index.html

Windows installer for it:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ufra...p.exe/download

See it's user guide for more info about how to use it:

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/Guide.html

Basically, you'd just want to change it's output type to jpeg (there is a button for that), with a relatively high quality level (I'd probably set it to around 90% compression).

Then click the White Balance button and select "as shot/camera" instead of "auto" in most cases, and perhaps tweak the noise reduction some using the button for that purpose (defaults to 0.0, but for images shot at higher .iso speeds, you may want to bump that up some). It uses a wavelet noise reduction algorithm that is very good.

But, for processing more than one image at once with it, you'd need to use the command line tools. For example, like this to convert all of the .rw2 files found in the folder you start it from to jpeg using a 90% compression level:

ufraw-batch *.rw2 --out-type=jpeg --compression=90

So, if you're not comfortable with using a command prompt, one of the tools with a GUI that supports batch processing may be a better bet for you (although for "problem" images that you may want to tweak manually, you may want to keep ufraw installed and use it's Graphical Interface for that purpose.

Anyway, there are lots of different raw converters available. It sounds like you've only tried one so far (raw therapee), even though I see this is the second thread you've started on the subject recently and have been given a number of suggestions.

Any tool is going to have a small learning curve. But, you can probably figure any of them out in about 15 minutes of playing with their options for basic raw conversion needs. ;-)

So, simply download some of the tools suggested so far, and give them a try and find one you're more comfortable with. I'd spend around 15 minutes each with them, which should be enough time to go through the available settings, perform the steps needed to convert a folder full of raw files, saving them in jpeg format to a different folder, and then looking at the jpeg files to see how well their conversion worked for you.

It should not be difficult to find one that you like that matches up to your desired workflow, as it's very simple to use most modern software for raw conversion purposes if you don't want to make a lot of changes to your images compared to the default settings being used by those converters (yet, you'll still have the option to correct photos that need more help, as when you used the wrong white balance settings, under or over exposed your images, etc.).

Again, that's one of the benefits of shooting in raw (more latitude for corrections later compared to the camera produced jpeg files). So, if you don't need more corrections, just go through a few steps and convert a folder of raw files to jpeg quickly. But, if you do have some problem images that need more corrections later, you'll be able to get better photos by shooting in raw since you can easily change things like white balance, exposure, etc before converting them, without as many problems with quality that you'd have making those same changes to a jpeg image).

You'll also find articles, tutorials, videos, etc. online for many of them. For example, just search for a product name on youtube.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
You'll also find articles, tutorials, videos, etc. online for many of them. For example, just search for a product name on youtube.
For example, here's a short video that goes into FastStone Image Viewer options I discussed when you double click on a thumbnail to view an image full screen, with examples of what you see when you move the mouse to the top (thumbnail/navigationi strip to select a different image), or to the right (exif info), or to the left (where you see editing features), etc. It also mentions where you can use your arrow keys to go to the next or previous image in a folder while using it's full screen view/edit mode without using the navigation strip of thumbnails you'll see if you move the mouse cursor to the top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4uU0QlFyyc

It's a very easy to learn and use image viewer, as you can see from that short video about it that shows you the basic functions. That video doesn't go into batch conversion. But, again, that's a very easy to understand feature.

As described in my earlier comments and screen capture I attached, just make sure you have the Settings under the RAW tab so that it's converting to full size images first (and it will remember those settings for future use), and then when you use the Tools>Batch Conversion feature, you just select one or more images you want to convert (or use the "Select All" choice to add all images in a folder to the list of images you want to convert).

Then, I'd give it a different output folder name (rather than having the jpeg and raw images all in the same folder), then when you click on the button to convert them, you'll end up with a folder full of jpeg files that were converted from your raw images.

Again, you'll find the ability to make other changes to images in a set you want to convert, too (adjusting sharpness, contrast, etc.) that you can use for all images you want to convert at the same time. It has a very easy to understand user interface, and it proably wouldn't take you 15 minutes before you'd be comfortable with using it.

There are *many* other products you could use, too. Again, you may want to download some of the ones being suggested and give them each a try (using them long enough to figure out the available options for batch conversion, then converting a folder of raw files to jpeg to see how they work for you).