Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:16 PM   #1

Default FZ1000 v Nikon D5100 Noise comparison

O.K this is not scientific but is just my take on the FZ1000's much improved low light performance.
I have cropped a small part from the top edge of a couple of larger pictures and enlarged them.
At normal viewing size it's not really noticeable. They are both at 3200 iso in poor light, one is my Nikon D5100 the other is the FZ1000.
Have a look decide which is best. I will post again if the exif doesn,t show and tell you.The cat picture is not sharp because it's a pastel picture not a photo, just look at the frame ,the indoor clothes line and the wallpaper.
Attached Images

Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Apr 27, 2015 at 4:19 PM. Reason: extra info
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:45 PM   #2
Administrator

The Exif information was stripped out by our forums software.

That means the images were too large for attaching to a post here (either dimensions or file size, as if you exceed the maximum allowed size for either of those parameters, the forums software is going to resize and/or recompress them and strip out all of the Exif metadata).

When you use the Manage Attachments feature (paperclip icon) to attach images (which uploads them to our servers), you'll see the maximum allowed sizes on the page you use to browse and upload images.

The longest side should be no longer than 1024 pixels, and the file size should be no larger than 253.9KB.

Most of the time, if you downsize images so that they're within the allowed dimensions (longest side of 1024 pixels or shorter), and use a JPEG compression (Quality) setting of around 80 percent (or around 8 on a 1 to 10 scale) with the image editor you're using, you'll be within the allowed file size, too.

If you exceed the maximum allowed size (for either dimensions or file size), the forums software will still try to let you attach them. But, it will resize and/or recompress the images, and also remove any Exif metadata in them.

Here's a screen showing the maximum sizes that you'll see when attaching images here. It's best to stick within those sizes (file size no larger than 253.9KB, longest dimension of 1024 pixels or shorter) to prevent the forums software from modifying your images and stripping out any EXIF info in them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:59 PM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

But, I'm not so sure that photo makes a very good candidate for comparing noise anyway, as it's too evenly lit without any areas in shadows or similar that you would often have when shooting at higher ISO speeds in real world conditions.

In other words, an image with a greater difference between lighter and darker areas is when you'll usually find more objectionable noise, as the well exposed areas of an image are going to have far less noise in them.

Noise tends to be worse in darker areas of an image, and will often rear it's ugly head on faces and other subjects within areas that are not as well lit as most of the image.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:11 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice Jim, You're right of course about the images but they represent approx area of 1/8th of the image.I chose the area because it didn't show what a mess the rest of the room was in :-) and on my pc I can see that the FZ1000 shows a lot more detail than the Nikon which blurs out edges through fairly aggressive N R, which strangely Panasonic are renowned for.
The Nikons auto white balance is more accurate and shows the warmth where the FZ whitens it out.
They were both shot at 3200 iso in very poor light
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:22 PM   #5

Here's another part with more shadow.
I've kept to the correct size hopefully.
Nikon the warm one again.
I'm just trying to show that the FZ1000 holds it's own against the Nikon, these are extremely large blow ups.
Attached Images

Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Apr 27, 2015 at 6:24 PM.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:29 PM   #6

I've just worked out that to print the original to this size the photo would be approx 12ft high.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod